I’m dying for Pakistani food…can you be ready in 45 minutes?, Mike asked me one night.
Well, that was a silly question since I am always in the mood for Pakistani food and can be ready at a moment’s notice. I had already made these pretty salads, but it worked out well since I had one for dessert later that night and the other went into the fridge for breakfast the next day.
I know, salad for dessert (or breakfast!) sounds odd, but beets are so sweet and paired with the sweetness of oranges it really was pretty treat-like. Mike didn’t indulge me in my salad-for-dessert idea, not because he thought it was weird (which ok, it is), but because he claims not to like beets. In reality though, I’m pretty sure he’s never tried them, which is a shame, really, because if I were trying to convince a beet-hater to give beets a try, this salad would be the way to go. He wasn’t having it though and his stubbornness won out…but there’s always next time.
I dressed this salad very simply with Prima Oliva’s Persian Lime EVOO and a sprinkle of salt and pepper so the flavors of the other components could really shine through. If you can’t find this oil (which was a gift from two very sweet colleagues of Mike’s – thank you, ladies!), you can use any lemon or lime-infused olive oil you can find.
- 2 medium beets (red or yellow, or a mix of both), pre-cooked and thinly sliced (see Note)
- 1 naval orange, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted in a dry skillet
- 1 tablespoon crumbled feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 1½ teaspoons lime or lemon-infused olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Arrange the beet and orange slices on 2 plates.
- Top with the onion, pine nuts, feta, and dill.
- Drizzle on the oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper as desired.