It could be a dreary Tuesday morning in January, but if you start your day off with something like this you’re setting yourself up for good things.
Eggs Benedict was my inspiration for this dish, but for me, Eggs Benedict needs a little work to be transformed into a weekday-friendly breakfast, which to me and probably quite a few of you out there, should be fast and healthy above all else. The first thing I did was swap out the Canadian bacon (since I don’t eat pork) and use nitrite-free turkey bacon instead.
I didn’t need a lot of turkey bacon though – I wilted down a whopping 3 cups of spinach! I know that sounds like a lot, but it wilts down so much that it fit on top of my toast perfectly. And why not get in a serving of greens first thing in the morning, right?
The other thing about Eggs Benedict is that hollandaise sauce isn’t normally something I whip up on a random weekday morning for brekkie alone. Nixing the hollandaise, I made a quick little cheesy sauce using The Laughing Cow, which ended up being the perfect creamy topping.
You really can’t go wrong with a breakfast that’s as fast, healthy, and incredibly delicious as this. I think it’s even nice enough for when you’re having people over for brunch. Serve it with fruit salad and a basket of fresh breads/muffins/butter/jam, and brunch is served.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 slices turkey bacon, diced
- 1 small clove garlic, grated
- 3 cups (3 oz/85 g) baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 wedge Laughing Cow Smooth Sensations Cream Cheese Spread
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1 slice whole-grain toast
- 1 egg, poached or fried
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat; add the bacon and cook until starting to get crispy, about 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, spinach, water, and black pepper, and cook until the spinach is wilted, about 30 seconds to 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Unwrap the cheese wedge and heat it together with the milk, whisking to form a smooth, creamy consistency (this can be done in the microwave or on the stovetop in a small saucepan). (You can add a splash more milk if you want it a little thinner.)
- To serve, place the toast on a plate and add the spinach mixture on top. Place the fried or poached egg on top, and spoon on the cheese sauce. Sprinkle on the parsley if using, and serve immediately.
I’ve really been enjoying The Laughing Cow lately and I wanted to share a couple other breakfast ideas with you, both of which can be whipped up in less than five minutes.
The first is a wholegrain breakfast bagel with The Laughing Cow cheese spread and any veggies you have on hand. Lettuce is great, and I would have also added slices of ripe tomato if tomatoes were in season. Sometimes I’ll also add deli turkey for added protein. Served with a piece of fruit, this breakfast is quick and perfect to grab on-the-go.
The second idea is also perfect for a breakfast on-the-run: a cheese and cracker box. Start with a serving of multigrain crackers and a couple wedges of The Laughing Cow cheese spread; add a piece of fresh fruit, some of your favorite nuts, and maybe a small handful of dried fruit. It’s a great way to start your day off on a healthy note.
Breakfast just got better with Smooth Sensations Cream Cheese Spread from The Laughing Cow. Rich, indulgent, and perfectly portioned at 45 calories per 1/3 less fat wedge. Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/LaughingCowFanPage.
Disclosure: Compensation for this post was provided by Bel Brands via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are my own, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Bel Brands.