Cherry-Almond Brown Butter Blondies with White and Dark Chocolate Chips will make you a winner no matter what team you’re rooting for on game day!
Let’s be real here; I’m just not that into football. To me, the only legitimate reason I can think of to attend a Super Bowl party would be for the food. (Ok, and maybe for the halftime show and/or commercials.)
Being originally from Buffalo, I’m no stranger to football (and having the Bills as my hometown team might just explain my boredom with/apathy toward football). Arguably, the Bills are one of the worst (or at least the most disappointing) teams in the NFL. I have heard my dad say “we’re in a rebuilding year” every single year for as long as I can remember, lol. But what truly baffles me is that the Bills continue to have the most loyal fans ever…all over the world! I take pride in the true loyalty of Buffalonians, if nothing else.
But like I said, the Super Bowl isn’t a total loss (even if your team is); the food is always fabulous! Enter these pretty little blondies, which are fully loaded with goodies. Here I paired dried cherries with toasted almonds and both white and dark chocolate…because it just felt right. (How could I choose between white and dark chocolate for this recipe? They both go so well with cherries and almonds. I could no sooner choose a favorite football team, albeit for very different reasons.)
And here are a few more sweet treat ideas for your game day spread…
And some more sweet game day inspiration from around the web…
- Biscoff White Chocolate Chip Blondies from Two Peas and Their Pod
- Chocolate Hazelnut Fudge from Texanerin Baking
- Homemade Hostess Cupcakes from Andie Mitchell
- Loaded Monster Cookies from FoodieCrush
- Peppered Peanut Brittle from Cooking Light
- Pretzel Peanut Butter Stuffed Chocolate Bark from How Sweet It Is
- Salt and Pepper Caramel Brownies from Eats Well With Others
What’s on your game day menu?
- 10 tablespoons (142 g) unsalted butter, browned and cooled slightly (see Note)
- ¾ cup (150 g) sugar (I used Wholesome! Organic Cane Sugar)
- 1 large egg
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup (128 g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground mahlab (optional)
- ½ cup dried cherries
- ½ cup toasted slivered almonds
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F; line an 8 by 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper so that it hangs over all 4 sides and you can just lift out the blondies.
- Whisk together the brown butter, sugar, egg, vanilla extract, molasses, and almond extract. Stir in the flour, salt, and mahlab, and then fold in the cherries, almonds, and chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until golden on the outside, but still a touch doughy in the center, about 20 to 23 minutes (be careful not to overbake, as these are best gooey in the center).
- Cool completely before cutting.
How to Brown Butter: If you’re not sure how to brown butter, check out this fabulous step-by-step photo tutorial on How Sweet It Is.
Disclosure: I received the Wholesome! Organic Cane Sugar that I used in this recipe for free; as always, opinions stated are my own.