This gluten and lactose-free Easy 5-Ingredient Chicken Parmesan Quinoa Casserole is the type of meal that makes smart use of a few pre-made or leftover ingredients so all you have to do is assemble it and toss it in the oven!
Chicken Parm is one of those things that always calls my name when I see it on a menu. It’s really hard to beat the combination of crispy breaded chicken topped with tomato sauce and melted mozzarella. But it’s actually pretty rare that I order it!
Mostly because it ends up being a seriously carb-heavy endeavor. Between the breading on the chicken, plus the fact that it’s usually served with a side of pasta and/or breadsticks, it sends me into a carb-induced coma every time. Instead of going the traditional route, I wanted to take the same flavors going on in Chicken Parm and remake it into something with a lot more nutrition.
Breading, pasta, and breadsticks are replaced with protein and fiber-rich quinoa, which is also a good source of antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties (you can read more about the nutrition benefits of quinoa on The World’s Healthiest Foods). I wanted the kind of easy meal that just has to be assembled and tossed in the oven, so here I used rotisserie chicken and my favorite jarred marinara sauce. Cubed leftover chicken breast (or even leftover turkey) would also be great, and if you have homemade marinara on hand, of course it only gets better.
I used GO VEGGIE Lactose and Soy Free Mozzarella Style Shreds, which are a tasty alternative with more calcium and less fat than ordinary cheese, and because we need some kind of “parm” in Chicken Parm, I used GO VEGGIE Vegan Grated Parmesan Style Topping to keep it lactose-free and plant-based.
This ended up being a really tasty casserole that I thought tasted like a cross between Lasagna and Chicken Parm (total crowd-pleaser!). Serve it along with a big green salad to make it a meal.
- 4 cups cooked quinoa (see Note)
- 2 cups cooked, chopped chicken (rotisserie chicken is great here)
- 1 (24 oz/680 g) jar marinara sauce (about 2½ cups)
- ½ bag (8 oz/227 g) GO VEGGIE Lactose and Soy Free Mozzarella Style Shreds
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for topping (optional)
- 1 tablespoon GO VEGGIE Vegan Grated Parmesan Style Topping
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Spread the quinoa out in the bottom of a 2-quart casserole dish. Spread the chicken on top of the quinoa, and top with the marinara sauce. Sprinkle the mozzarella shreds on top.
- Cover the casserole with foil and bake until warm throughout, about 60 minutes.
- Sprinkle on the parsley and parmesan topping and serve.
Disclosure: I received the GO VEGGIE products that I used in this recipe for free, and I also received compensation for this post. I am happy for the opportunity to share brands that I believe in with my readers, and I hope you enjoy my recipe. As always, opinions stated are my own.