This meal is the perfect thing to make when you haven’t been shopping in a while and there are just a few lonely veggies in your fridge. Feel free to swap out just about anything – the type of sausage, veggies, and lentils – for whatever you have on hand.
Like most meals that come together unplanned and somewhat haphazardly, this meal turned out to be a real winner. It was perfect comfort food with its heartiness and smoky flavor…to me, it tasted like campfire food.
And since it’s an easy, one skillet meal, I think it would turn out great cooked on a campfire! Even though I haven’t been camping in what feels like forever (and I have no intention of going anytime soon unless there is a full kitchen and bathroom involved and no tents in sight, lol!), with this supper it was easy to imagine I was camping. Well, that and the s’mores we made under the broiler for dessert. :)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 14-16 oz fully-cooked smoked beef, turkey, or chicken sausage, sliced
- 4 medium-large carrots, chopped
- 3 large stalks celery (including leafy green tops), chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 oz tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15 oz) can brown lentils, rinsed and drained (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley, chives, etc.), for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat; add the sausage and brown, about 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausage to a bowl and set aside for now.
- Turn the heat down to medium-high and add the carrot, celery, and onion; cook until just starting to brown, about 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the tomato, garlic, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon, paprika, cumin, oregano, bay leaf, salt, black pepper, and water.
- Bring up to a boil, then cover the skillet and turn the heat down to a simmer; cook until the veggies are tender, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the lentils and sausage, cover the skillet, and cook 5 to 10 minutes to heat through and let the flavors blend.
- Turn off heat and add lemon juice, then taste and season with additional salt and black pepper as desired.
- Garnish with chopped fresh herbs if desired.
To Reheat: Add a splash of water, cover the skillet, and bring it to a gentle simmer on the stovetop or on the campfire.