Last week when I posted my recipe for Thai-Inspired Fried Rice with Chicken I included a little teaser for this salad. I love this salad with any Thai dish, and now I know it must be a reader favorite too – I’ve received a ton of emails requesting the recipe in the past week!
This basic recipe for Thai-Inspired Sweet & Tangy Cucumber Salad is my favorite, but I’ve also seen versions that use crushed peanut, cilantro, scallion, garlic, fish sauce, lime juice, and/or crushed red pepper flakes. Feel free to experiment with it and come up with a unique version that you like best.
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons white sugar (or you could try it with honey instead; if so, start with about half the amount)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium English cucumber, halved length-wise and thinly sliced (see note below)
- 1 medium white onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried, crushed mint leaves (or 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint leaves)
- Whisk together the vinegar, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl until the salt and sugar are dissolved.
- Stir in the cucumber, onion, and mint.
- Refrigerate at least one hour (but up to four) before serving.