I can’t believe it’s been about a year since I last did a What I Ate Wednesday post! (Here are my first three: 1, 2, and 3.) I’d like to say I’ll try to do more of these posts, but in reality, my daily eats generally aren’t always interesting (I’m still stuck on my cottage cheese in the morning! :) ). There is a random day that is pretty fun though, and this day was one of them…enjoy!
Thanks to Jenn for hosting! Be sure to check out her lovely blog Peas and Crayons to see her eats, which are always an inspiration.
- ⅓ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¾ cup water
- 1 medium banana, thinly sliced (divided)
- 1 Medjool date, pitted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal (I like Bob’s Red Mill’s flaxseed meal)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (more or less to taste), plus more for garnish if desired
- 1 small pinch sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ tablespoon chopped walnuts, for topping
- 1-2 tablespoons full-fat canned coconut milk, for topping (optional)
- Add the oats, water, ⅔ of the banana (reserving ⅓ of the banana for topping), date, flaxseed meal, cinnamon, and salt to a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently and mashing the banana against the side of the saucepan, until it reaches your desired consistency, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the oatmeal into a bowl, sprinkle the walnut on top, and add the reserved ⅓ of the banana; drizzle on the coconut milk if using, and sprinkle on a little more cinnamon if desired.
Lunch: Fall Salad. This one had deli turkey, onion, dried cranberries, walnuts, and maple-Dijon vinaigrette on a bed of lettuce. Served with a couple slices of my new obsession, Kerrygold Vintage Dubliner…after trying this cheese, all other sharp white cheddars pale in comparison.
Update (12/20/2012): Because of the overwhelming number of emails as well as a few comments below that I received from people asking for the recipe for this shake, I am going to let you in on a teensy little secret. I can’t share the recipe now (I’ll be announcing why soon!) but I can say that the flavor of this shake/smoothie is based on the flavors in a toffee-almond chocolate bar – and it actually tastes like that! Good news is that even though it tastes insanely indulgent, it’s not; it’s actually full of nutritious ingredients. Plus it’s vegan, naturally-sweetened, grain-free, gluten-free, and made from ingredients you probably already have in your fridge/pantry. And there’s more where this smoothie came from. ;)
Dinner: Lamb and Navy Bean Stew (Fajoom) With a Handful of Wholegrain Crackers. This is basically the Syrian version of chili – comforting and perfect on a cold night! The recipe can be found in my cookbook.
(Unpictured: Multi-vitamin, lots of water, and a cup of herbal tea in the evening.)
If you want, feel free to share a day’s worth of your eats in the comments below!