Gluten-free and vegan 10-Minute Cinnamon Raisin Brown Rice Breakfast Porridge is great to warm up with on a chilly morning!
Sometimes the only thing that gets me out of bed on a freezing cold winter morning is the thought of a warm breakfast. And maybe a hot cup of coffee to go along with it.
Oatmeal is always a good stick-to-your-ribs hot breakfast choice, but why not switch things up a little? One chilly morning I had a tub of leftover brown rice in my fridge and a tummy growling for breakfast. 10 minutes later I was a pretty happy girl with a bowlful of this.
Take note that you don’t have to use brown rice for this recipe; you can use any kind of leftover rice you have. And if raisins aren’t your thing, swap them out for dried cherries, apricots, etc., or skip them altogether. And if you’re just cooking for one, no worries because this keeps well in the fridge; you’ll be set with breakfast for the next few days!
And if you’re looking for more breakfast porridge inspiration:
Want to go savory instead of sweet with your leftover brown rice? Check out Brown Rice Bowls Under 400 Calories from Cooking Light!
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1¾ cups (415 ml) plain, unsweetened almond “milk” (or any kind of milk you like)
- 3-4 tablespoons coconut sugar (or lightly packed light brown sugar)
- 2 tablespoons golden flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons raisins (I used golden raisins/sultanas)
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- ¾ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pomegranate arils
- Chopped nuts
- Shredded coconut
- Chia seeds
- Cacao nibs
- Combine the rice, milk, sugar, flaxseed meal, raisins, cinnamon, and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and then turn the heat down slightly and cook until thickened to your liking, about 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Turn off the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Serve warm with any toppings you like.