The perfect picnic salad is a very subjective thing. I have a friend who always makes a pasta salad loaded with cheese, pepperoni, chopped tomatoes, and Italian dressing. I know a few people who think its not a picnic if there isnt a creamy potato salad. And my mom is a lover of baked beans (which arent really a salad, I know, but they travel well and are still a pretty yummy picnic side). I dont really have a single favorite salad, but I do have a few prerequisites when it comes to making a salad picnic-worthy.
- No mayo (because typically the food will go unrefrigerated for a while, and its just easier not to have to worry about mayo-based salads)
- Versatile (pairs well with a number of things)
- Hearty (nothing that will wilt too easily in the heat)
- Healthy and delicious (that should go without saying!)
With that in mind, here are a few of my favorite salads to pack for a picnic
And here are a few other picnic essentials
- Something to stay hydrated with (so important!), and why not hydrate in style? I recently tried IZZE Sparkling Water, which is perfect for picnicking. Its a bold sparkling water with true-to-the-fruit flavors: Blackberry Pear (my favorite!), Mandarin Lime, and Raspberry Watermelon. I love that IZZE Sparkling Water is USDA Organic Certified, not too sweet, and very refreshing.
- Books or an e-book reader
- Blanket to lay on
- Other than that, an afternoon with nothing else to do is all thats required
Do you have any picnic must-brings?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.