These gluten-free Easy One-Bowl Hazelnut Chocolate Chunk Brownies are gooey and perfectly fudgy to satisfy your most intense chocolate cravings.
With all the brownie recipes floating around out there, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to share this recipe. This is by no means a new brownie flavor (because Nutella brownies go waaaaay back), but it is the best version of chocolate hazelnut brownies I’ve ever had, and it does have a few unique selling points that I think make it special.
The first of which is that I actually didn’t use Nutella as my chocolate hazelnut spread in this recipe. I went with Chocomeister’s Milk Chocolatey Hazelnut Spread, which says it has 25% less sugar than the leading brand of chocolate hazelnut spread. So, heads up, if you use Nutella, you may want to reduce the amount of sugar you add by 2 to 4 tablespoons (unless you’re into your sweets on the sweeter side).
Another thing that helps this recipe stand out is the fact that it’s gluten-free without the need for gluten-free “flours” (like almond, tapioca, arrowroot, coconut, brown rice, etc.). Don’t get me wrong, I keep a fully stocked pantry with all these uncommon ingredients being regularly used, but I know that not everyone keeps all these gluten-free flours on hand.
And anyway, sometimes I’m just not in the mood to measure out three different kinds of flour for a single recipe. Sometimes I just want to make my brownies in a single bowl as quickly and easily as possible. Sort-of instant gratification brownies, if you will (lol!). Thanks to the combo of eggs + chocolate hazelnut spread + cocoa powder, these brownies do just fine without the need for additional flour of any kind, so bonus, you don’t have to run out and buy a bag of gluten-free flour and only use a small amount of it for this recipe.
Last but not least about what makes these brownies special, I emphasize the chocolate and hazelnut flavors here by adding actual hazelnuts and chopped dark chocolate to take these brownies over the top. And it’s just icing on the cake that they only need 10 minutes of hands-on prep time and can be made in just one bowl with ingredients that you most likely already have in your pantry.
The result is a fudgy brownie featuring the classic chocolate + hazelnut flavor combo with a little grown-up flair. Maybe they’re not an epiphany in the world of brownies, but they certainly are next-level chocolate hazelnut brownies that are sure to please a crowd and disappear pretty darn fast if you bring them to a party or serve them up as dessert.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 (13 oz/370g) chocolate hazelnut spread (see Note)
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup (100 g) sugar
- ¼ cup (20 g) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (60 g) chopped hazelnuts, divided
- ½ cup (85 g) chopped dark or semisweet chocolate, divided
- Preheat oven to 350F; line an 8 by 8-inch baking pan with 2 pieces of parchment paper so it hangs over all 4 sides and you can easily lift out the brownies later.
- Beat together the butter and hazelnut spread. Beat in the eggs, vanilla, and sugar. Sift in the cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt, and stir just until combined. Fold in the hazelnuts and chopped chocolate, reserving 2 tablespoons of each for topping.
- Pour the batter into the prepared dish; sprinkle the reserved hazelnuts and chocolate on top. Bake until the brownies are set along the outside, but still a touch wobbly in the center, about 20 to 25 minutes in a glass dish, being careful not to over-bake (note that it might slightly longer in a metal pan).
- Cool to room temperature before cutting. (For best results, cool to room temperature and then cover and refrigerate overnight before cutting and serving.)
Deb Hatton says
Tried these yesterday and they are absolutely delicious and soooo quick and easy. The hazelnut spread makes them super moist to the point where they just melt in your mouth.
Kevin | Keviniscooking says
I love how easy these are to make and like you said some don’t always have gluten free flour on hand. Thanks Faith!
Laura | Tutti Dolci says
I adore chocolate-hazelnut anything – these brownies are perfection!! xo
My mouth is literally watering – these look decadent delicious! And so easy, Faith!! These are a MUST MAKE.