White Bean Soup
This Italian-inspired creamy White Bean Soup recipe is a hearty and satisfying chowder with white beans and vegetables. It's quick and easy enough to whip up on a weeknight!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 slices turkey bacon minced
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 medium stalk celery finely diced
- 1 medium carrot finely diced
- 1/4 of a medium-large red bell pepper finely diced
- 3 large cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock if you prefer
- 1 small tomato finely diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 15 ounce can of cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
Heat the oil in a 3-quart pot over medium-high heat; add the turkey bacon and cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the onion, celery, carrot, and bell pepper and cook until starting to soften, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Turn the heat down to medium, stir in the garlic and thyme, and cook 2 minutes; stir in the flour and cook 2 minutes more.
Add the stock, tomato, tomato paste, bay leaf, oregano, salt, pepper, and beans, and bring to a boil; turn the heat down and simmer 15 minutes (uncovered). (Mash a few of the beans against the side of the pot if you want a thicker soup.)
Turn the heat off and stir in the cream and parsley.
Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as desired; serve.
- Vegan Version: Omit the turkey bacon and add 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika to give it a smoky complexity, and use canned full-fat coconut milk instead of heavy cream.
- Gluten Free Version: Omit the flour and make sure the vegetable stock you use is gluten free. Mash about 1/2 cup of the beans to give the soup a creamy texture.
- Meal Prep: This recipe is a good one to meal prep. Whip up a double batch of this Italian White Bean Soup on the weekend and have it for dinner, and then save the leftovers for weekday lunches.
- Freezer Friendly: Portion this soup out into individual servings and freeze for a quick meal!
Calories: 316kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 1154mg | Potassium: 788mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 3900IU | Vitamin C: 22.8mg | Calcium: 114mg | Iron: 4.2mg