Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls
This Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls recipe is loaded with nutrition and has all the flavor of Stuffed Cabbage Rolls, but comes together in just 30 minutes and has much fewer carbs!
Servings 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium head green cabbage thinly sliced (about 7 to 8 cups sliced)
- 1 1/2 pounds 90% lean ground beef
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 7 cloves garlic crushed
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes with juices
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut sugar or light brown sugar or keto brown sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Minced fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
Heat a 5-quart pot over medium to medium-high heat. Once hot, add the oil and the cabbage. Cook until the cabbage starts to wilt, about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the beef, onion, and garlic, cover the pot, and cook until the meat is browned, about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up the meat.
Stir in the tomatoes (with their juices), coconut sugar, salt, thyme, black pepper, and smoked paprika. Cover the pot and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve warm, garnished with parsley if desired.
- Paleo and Whole30: This recipe is paleo as written. To make it Whole30 compliant, omit the coconut sugar.
- Low Carb Version: Use keto brown sugar instead of coconut sugar. Without the coconut sugar, this recipe has 12g net carbs per serving.
Calories: 347kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 1240mg | Potassium: 930mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 433IU | Vitamin C: 43mg | Calcium: 104mg | Iron: 5mg