Black Beans Recipe
This easy, from-scratch Black Beans Recipe combines bold savory flavors like onion, garlic, and smoky cumin with humble beans, and transforms them into something special. Two pantry-staple SECRET ingredients are added at the end to create a wonderfully balanced flavor profile!
Servings 4 servings
- Fresh cilantro
- Fresh lime wedges
- Diced white onion
For the Black Beans:
Add the chicken stock, beans, and bay leaf to a 5-quart pot. Bring to a boil, cover, and turn the heat down to simmer. Cook until the beans are tender, about 1 hour 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. You can add a splash of water if necessary to keep the beans covered with liquid.
For the Sofrito:
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and bell pepper and cook until starting to soften and turn brown in spots, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the garlic and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in the cumin, oregano, salt, and black pepper. If should be starting to slightly caramelize. Remove from the heat.
Stir the Sofrito into the cooked beans and cook 2 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly.
Remove from the heat and stir in the vinegar and sugar.
Serve with any garnishes you like.
- The nutrition information for this recipe was calculated without any garnishes.
- To keep this dish vegan, use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
- Black Beans are exceptionally delicious served on top of rice.
- If you like your Black Beans extra thick and creamy, mash a little bit of the beans with a potato masher and stir them in.
How to Make This Recipe with Canned Beans:
- Make the sofrito as directed in this recipe.
- Add 1 (15-ounce) can of undrained black beans and 1/2 cup chicken stock to a saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir the sofrito into the beans and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vinegar and sugar as directed in this recipe.
- Serve with any garnishes you like.
Calories: 366kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 659mg | Potassium: 1047mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 136IU | Vitamin C: 27mg | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 4mg