Baked Eggs with Mushrooms and Cheese
Baked Eggs with Mushrooms and Cheese pairs earthy mushrooms with nutty Swiss cheese and a hint of garlic and herbs. It makes the perfect weekend breakfast, special occasion brunch, or breakfast-for-dinner.
Servings 1 serving
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 100 g shiitake mushrooms wiped clean and coarsely chopped (about 1 1/2 to 2 cups)
- 1/16 teaspoon salt
- 1/16 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large clove garlic crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves or 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 40 g Emmental cheese shredded (about 1/3 cup; or any type of Swiss cheese you like)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley leaves for garnish
Preheat oven to 400F.
Add the butter to a medium skillet over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add the mushrooms, salt, and black pepper. Cook until softened, but not browned, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly.
Pour the mushrooms into a small oven-safe gratin dish and sprinkle the cheese on top. Make 2 wells and crack the eggs into them.
Bake until the cheese is melted and the eggs are cooked how you like them (I like mine with set whites and runny yolks, which takes about 10 to 12 minutes).
Sprinkle the parsley on top and serve immediately.
Calories: 596kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 51g | Saturated Fat: 29g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 455mg | Sodium: 369mg | Potassium: 497mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1865IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 400mg | Iron: 2mg