Red Wine Caramelized Onion Flatbread Recipe
This Red Wine Caramelized Onion Flatbread recipe has a beautifully balanced flavor profile and is easier to make than you might think. It’s the perfect little bite to nibble on!
Servings 8 servings
Red Wine Caramelized Onions:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium-large onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry 1 sheet is half of a 17.3 oz/490 g box of puff pastry, thawed
- 3 ounces Manchego cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup seedless red grapes halved
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
For the Red Wine Caramelized Onions:
Add the butter to a medium skillet over medium heat. Once melted, add the onion, wine, salt, and pepper.
Cook until the liquid is evaporated and the onions are caramelized, about 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. You can add a splash of water or turn the heat down slightly at any point if the onions start to get too dark or start to stick to the skillet.
For the Flatbread:
Thaw the puff pastry according to the package directions. Preheat the oven to 375F.
Unfold the pastry out onto a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat liner.
Spread the caramelized onions onto the pastry, leaving about a 1/4-inch rim all the way round.
Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top, and then the grapes and thyme.
Use a sharp paring knife to poke a few holes in the pastry. Bake the pastry until golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Cool slightly before cutting into 8 squares.
- You can either serve this warm or at room temperature.
- Store this flatbread in an airtight food storage container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- To reheat flatbread, place it on a foil-lined baking tray in a preheated 350F oven until warm, about 15 minutes.
Serving: 1square | Calories: 249kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 178mg | Potassium: 51mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 124IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 123mg | Iron: 1mg