Homemade Chicken Soup Recipe
You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to make Homemade Chicken Soup Recipe from scratch! Plus it's way more delicious and packed with nutrition.
Prep Time 45 minutes
Cook Time 3 hours
Servings 10 servings
- 4 pound whole organic chicken cleaned and giblets removed
- 1 organic yellow onion unpeeled and quartered
- 4 large cloves organic garlic unpeeled and cracked
- 2 organic celery ribs quartered
- 4 sprigs fresh organic thyme
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 1/2 cups water
- Chicken Stock you just made plus water to make it 8 cups
- 1 pound organic carrots sliced
- 1 stalk organic celery about 8 to 10 ribs, sliced
- 2 yellow onions diced
- 8 cloves garlic minced or crushed
- 4 to 5 cups cooked chopped chicken
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs such as dill or parsley, for garnish
- Fresh lemon wedges for garnish
For the Chicken Stock:
Add all ingredients to a 5-quart soup pot or Dutch oven.
Bring to a boil, and then cover the pot, turn the heat down slightly so it doesn’t boil over, and cook 90 minutes.
Cool, and then remove the chicken and strain the liquid through a fine mesh sieve. You should have at least 1 liter of chicken stock. To make this Chicken Soup, you’ll need 2 liters (about 8 cups) of liquid, so add enough water to the chicken stock so you have 8 cups.
Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, pull the meat off and chop it into large chunks to use in this soup.
Save the carcass (the skin, bones, fat, any meat that’s stuck to the bones) to make chicken bone broth (or freeze them to make bone broth later).
For the Chicken Soup:
Add the Chicken Stock and enough water to make 8 cups total to a 5-quart soup pot or Dutch oven. Add the carrots, celery, onions, and garlic. Bring to a boil, and then cover the pot, turn the heat down slightly so it doesn’t boil over, and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Add the chicken and let it cook 2 minutes to warm up the chicken, and then remove the soup from the heat. Don’t stir it too much, or the chicken will shred.
Taste and add salt and black pepper if desired.
Serve with fresh herbs and lemon wedges if desired.
- Net Carbs: 7g per serving
- For a gorgeous golden-colored chicken stock, add organic yellow onion peels!
- If you want to add noodles, cook the noodles to al dente separately before adding them to this soup. Otherwise, if you cook the noodles in the soup it's easy to overcook them, and it changes the texture of the broth because of the noodles' starch.
- Fast Version: My mom would kill me for saying this, but if it’s all you have time for, the end result will still be better than soup from a can! In a real pinch, you can use store-bought chicken stock stock and a rotisserie chicken.
Calories: 310kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 109mg | Sodium: 734mg | Potassium: 534mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 7791IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 1mg