Tilapia Fish Tacos Recipe with Cabbage Slaw
This 30-minute Tilapia Fish Tacos Recipe with Cabbage Slaw has just the right balance of sweet and spicy flavors, topped with a fresh crunchy cabbage slaw!
Servings 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 medium clove garlic crushed using a mortar and pestle or grated on a microplane
- 2 teaspoons dried crushed mint
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound cabbage cored and thinly sliced into shreds (about 5 cups sliced)
- 2 Navel oranges peeled and chopped
- 1/2 medium white onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 12 small corn tortillas about 5 to 6-inches in diameter
- Fresh minced chives for garnish (optional)
- Fresh lime wedges for squeezing on top (optional)
For the Fish:
Preheat oven to 350F. Brush the inside of a 9 by 13-inch casserole dish with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil; arrange the fish in the prepared dish.
Whisk together the remaining 11/2 tablespoons olive oil, red wine vinegar, maple syrup, Dijon, garlic, ancho chile pepper, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl. Pour the sauce evenly over the fish.
Bake the fish until fully cooked (it will be opaque and flake easily with a fork), about 12 minutes.
To Char the Tortillas (Optional):
While it’s optional, I like to char the tortillas a little bit. I (carefully!) do this by using a pair of tongs to hold a tortilla over my gas burner and rotating it around until it blackens in places. This can also be done by placing the tortillas onto a grill or hot grill pan, or putting them under a hot broiler. No matter what method you use, be very careful and watch them closely!
- If desired, increase the spice level by adding crushed red pepper flakes or topping with your favorite hot sauce.
- You can make the slaw a day or 2 in advance and store it covered in the fridge.
Calories: 503kcal | Carbohydrates: 58g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 57mg | Sodium: 744mg | Potassium: 871mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 610IU | Vitamin C: 86mg | Calcium: 164mg | Iron: 2mg