Thank you Breton for sponsoring this post. Make everyday entertaining better with Breton!
Sweet and tangy with a hint of heat, this Easy Apple Jalapeno Relish is a great condiment to add to any number of things, but it’s equally delicious on its own as a cracker topping.
With apple season literally just around the corner, I wanted to ease into autumn with a dish that works equally well served summer or fall: relish! What could be more appropriate between seasons than a condiment made with fall fruit that is perfect on just about any summer supper you can grill up?
Once upon a time, I was not a relish fan. I was the type who’d get a hot dog with “the works”, minus the relish component (which of course isn’t really “the works” at all). As an adult I realized the folly of my ways and now fully embrace the sweet/tart flavor of relish as a condiment on a sandwich, grilled hot dog, or sausage; baked into burgers; as part of a charcuterie or cheese board; or just as a cracker topping on its own.
I paired this relish with Breton Artisanal Cranberry and Ancient Grains crackers, which are made with wholesome, real ingredients such as ancient grains like spelt and amaranth, and have cranberry pieces baked in. They’re perfect for keeping on hand and pulling out when you want a quick bite (I love these crackers on their own for munching), or for when people pop by and you want to put together a fast nibble.
The cranberry in these crackers pairs particularly well with this sweet/tart apple relish that has just a hint of heat. To add another level of flavor and complexity to these nibbles, top each cracker with a slice of cheese (sharp white cheddar is delicious here) before spooning on the relish.
What are some of your favorite cracker toppings?
- 2 medium-sized crisp, sweet apples (such as Fuji or Honey Crisp), washed, cored, and diced small (not peeled)
- ½ small-medium yellow onion, peeled and diced small
- 1 jalapeno, de-seeded and minced (more or less to taste)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- Breton Artisanal Cranberry and Ancient Grains crackers, for serving
- White cheddar slices, for serving (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a medium saucepan over medium heat; stir until the sugar is dissolved, and then cover the saucepan and cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover the saucepan and cook 2 minutes more, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat, cover the saucepan, and let the relish sit for 10 minutes.
- Use the relish, or let it cool to room temperature and then store in the fridge up to 5 days.
- Serve on crackers, or as a condiment for sandwiches, hot dogs, or part of a charcuterie or cheese board.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.