This Canned Chicken Salad recipe is easy to make in less than 10 minutes! It’s creamy like tuna salad and seasoned simply with seasoned salt, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. This version is healthier than most and replaces most of the mayo with Greek yogurt!
I remember my mom having her friends over for ladies’ luncheons when I was a kid.
She’d make mint-flavored iced tea or lemonade to drink and fruit salad for dessert. She’d usually serve one of two things for lunch: a pretty arranged salad on a bed of greens along with a couple of sides (one of which was always cottage cheese with chives, which was her favorite), or tuna salad sandwiches.
My sister and I always felt so grown up at those lunches. And to this day, tuna salad sandwiches are a favorite of mine!
This chicken salad is based on classic tuna salad, but with chicken instead of tuna and some of the mayo replaced with Greek yogurt. It’s incredibly simple, but always a favorite.
The Best Healthy Canned Chicken Salad Recipe
This recipe is healthier than most because of a few easy swaps!
- I replace 2/3 of the mayo with Greek yogurt to lower the fat and bump up the protein.
- I add a bit of celery to increase the fiber and fullness factor a bit.
- Look for chunk chicken breast in water. Some brands have no-salt-added, which will help reduce the sodium if that’s a concern!
- Canned chunk chicken breast in water: Or you can use rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken if you prefer.
- Onion: You can substitute with scallion if you like.
- Celery: This adds delicious crunch!
- Greek yogurt: Adds protein and creamy texture with less fat than mayo.
- Mayo: We reduced the mayo, but still kept some for flavor.
- Seasonings: Here we keep the seasonings simple with seasoned salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper.
For this easy salad, you literally just mix everything together in a bowl. It’s good to go!
You can store this covered in the fridge for up to 3 days. It’s great for lunches during the week!
Canned Chicken FAQs
Is Canned Chicken Cooked?
Yes! Canned chicken is fully cooked.
Should Canned Chicken be Rinsed?
No, canned chicken doesn’t need to be rinsed. Simply drain out the liquid and it’s ready to use!
How Do You Serve Chicken Salad?
This salad is served cold. Here are a few ideas on how to serve it:
- Sandwiched between two slices of bread
- In a pita pocket
- As a wrap
- Made into a bagel or croissant sandwich
- On a bed of salad greens
- Spread on top of crackers
How Long is Canned Chicken Salad Good For?
Store this canned chicken salad covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
More Creamy Salad Recipes
- The Ultimate “Mock” Tuna Salad (Vegan)
- Creamy Crab Salad
- Egg Salad with Bacon and Creamy Honey Mustard Dressing
- Cauliflower Potato Salad (Mock Potato Salad)
Canned Chicken Salad Recipe
- Stir together all ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Serve, or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days before serving.
- Eat on top of salad greens, in a sandwich, stuffed in pita bread, or spread on crackers.
- Net Carbs: 4g per serving
- Onion Substitute: If desired, omit the onion and use 1 thinly sliced scallion instead.
This post was first published on An Edible Mosaic on January 11, 2012. I updated it with more information on June 12, 2020.