Disclosure: I’m sharing #beyondordinary in my life as part of a Sahale Snacks® sponsored series for Socialstars™.
This 15-Minute Dutch Baby Pancake for One makes a beautiful breakfast in bed for a special occasion! Or you know, just Saturday morning.
So, the thing about special occasions is that they call for special food.
I mean, what better way to celebrate than with food, right? There’s birthday cake, Thanksgiving turkey, Valentine’s Day chocolates, and list could go on for paragraphs. No matter what the occasion, food is probably the perfect way to celebrate it.
But sometimes you don’t need a ton of food to have a celebration…like when you want to make your sweetie breakfast in bed. Maybe he or she just got a promotion, or maybe it’s a birthday breakfast. Or maybe it’s just a random weekend morning and you feel like being spouse of the year. Make your honey this and you might just get that title.
And the great thing is, even though I say this recipe serves one, it really serves one quite generously. If you make it and serve it along with coffee or tea and a side of fruit, yogurt, or turkey bacon, there’s no reason it won’t be enough for two. Eating off the same plate is what makes it romantic.
I kept this dish grain-free and gluten-free by using a combo of arrowroot starch and tapioca starch, which give it a chewy texture inside that is a nice contrast to the crispy outside. If you’re not familiar with a Dutch baby, it’s basically a baked pancake (also known as a German pancake). The trick to getting the pancake to puff up gorgeously is to have your oven super hot (425F, to be exact), and to preheat the skillet that you’ll be cooking the Dutch baby in. Other than that, it’s easy as pie, so to speak.
Here I added a little splash of vanilla, which is a lovely pairing with coconut oil. No additional sweetener was necessary because I sprinkled Sahale Snacks® Honey Almonds Glazed Mix on top, which provided the perfect touch of sweetness. Sahale Snacks® goes Beyond Ordinary™ when it comes to seeking out the highest quality ingredients for their products, and I found their commitment to sustainability and community to be pretty inspiring. Plus I admire that they take pride in crafting their products to achieve the right balance of flavors and textures for uniquely delicious snacks.
If the cook is hungry while this pretty Dutch Baby is cooking up, a handful or two of Sahale Snacks® Honey Almonds Glazed Mix is pretty perfect for snacking!
And even though it looks impressive, this Dutch Baby Pancake comes together quick! Because no fussing in the kitchen means you get to spend more time with loved ones actually enjoying food, which is kind-of what it's all about.
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup (60 ml) plain, unsweetened almond “milk” (or your milk of choice)
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 (1.5 oz/42.5 g) package Sahale Snacks Honey Almonds Glazed Mix
- Fresh fruit, such as blueberries or pomegranate arils
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Place an 8 or 9-inch oven-proof skillet in the oven so it can heat up.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, arrowroot starch, tapioca starch, vanilla, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Once the oven and skillet are hot, carefully remove the skillet with potholders. Add the coconut oil to the hot skillet and rotate it around until the oil is melted.
- Pour the batter into the hot skillet and sprinkle the honey almonds glazed mix on top. Bake until the pancake is puffed and golden, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve warm, topped with fresh fruit if desired.