This Layered Corn, Avocado, and Tomato Salad with Herbed Sour Cream features the best of summer produce and is sure to be a hit at your summer picnic or potluck.
At the beginning of summer, one of Mike’s favorite coworkers moved to Hawaii.
(It was a sad day when we said goodbye to her, not only because she was funny and sweet and smart, but also because she makes the best brownies I’ve ever put into my mouth. She’s like some kind of evil brownie magician because I swear her recipe is irreplicable despite my 25 pathetic attempts.)
But anyway, we invited her over for dinner before she left and this salad was my parting gift to her. Avocado is totally her thing (she’s a girl after my own heart), and I wanted to come up with a way to feature it other than the obvious choice (guacamole). So I thought, why not add the best of summer produce – sweet ripe tomatoes and corn – along with an herbed sour cream?
In the words of Ina Garten, How bad can that be? Not bad at all. In fact, take this surprisingly delicious little gem of a recipe to your next summer party and no doubt you’ll have a few people ask you for the recipe. Pass it off as yours, they’ll never be the wiser. ;)
- 1 (8 oz/227 g) sour cream
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley
- ¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, minced or grated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 medium-large ears corn on the cob, steamed, cooled, and corn cut off (about 1¼ cups corn)
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and chopped into large pieces
- 1 small head Romaine lettuce, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, green and white parts, thinly sliced
- Stir together all ingredients for the herbed sour cream in a small bowl and set aside for now.
- Whisk together all ingredients for the dressing in a large bowl and gently stir in the corn, tomato, onion, and avocado. Pour the veggie mixture into a 2.5-liter glass bowl or casserole dish (I use glass so you can see the layers). Spread the lettuce out on top of the veggies. Spread the herbed sour cream out on top and sprinkle on the scallion.
- Serve chilled.
This sounds awesome! I love that this is layered so everyone can take a big spoonful and get the whole salad on their plate. That herbed sour cream sounds wonderful.
Joy @ Joy Love Food says
This sounds so good, I love all the fresh veggies and you can’t go wrong with sour cream!
Jenn @ A Toast to the Good Life says
Oh I just love every ingredient in this! How can you not LOVE a summer dip. This looks delicious. Will definitely be giving this a try! Maybe even sprinkle a little crispy crumbled bacon on top. :)
Patricia @ Grab a Plate says
How great is this?! Many of my favorite things :) Nice of you to make it for your Brownie-wiz friend. I had a coworker who had the market on the best deviled eggs. Cannot be replicated!
Florian @ContentednessCooking says
This looks absolutely beautiful! Love the flavors!
Kacey @ The Cookie Writer says
Does this ever sound good! I always see cream cheese dips at parties (you probably know which one I am talking about) but I love this change! So making this!
This salad sounds amazing. It is going on my birthday menu. Looks easy enough for my hubby to make.
Miss you:) And yes I will share my recipe.
Amanda Paa says
gosh, so much packed into this summery salad! it almost looks like it could be a dip too, perfect for a labor day gathering. so nice of you to gather with your friend before she moved to Hawaii, and maybe she’ll share her brownie recipe with you so you can remember her in your kitchen.
I’m not moving to Hawaii AT ALL…so I think I need this salad as a condolence prize. Yes?
Lovely salad!!! It looks so refreshing!!!
Fresh, summery and scrumptious!