These gluten-free No-Bake Oatmeal Cookie Energy Bites are the perfect treat to keep in the fridge to grab pre-workout or any time you need an energy boost!
In college I used to exercise early in the morning on an empty stomach and it didn’t phase me, not even during a long spin class! (Of course I was pretty ravenous post-workout though.) Now I find that I need to eat just a little something about 30 minutes before a workout not only for an energy boost, but also to keep from getting dizzy or light-headed mid-workout.
These little bites are perfect when you need a pick-me-up. They’re full of healthy ingredients like dates, walnuts, and oats, and a pack a nice punch of vitamins and minerals. I find that just two of these bites will get me through a tough workout.
The best part is, they actually taste like an oatmeal cookie, so they’re a great healthier alternative if you’re in the mood for something sweet but either 1) want to stay on track with healthy eating, or 2) don't feel like taking the time to bake cookies.
You can whip up a batch of these and keep them in the fridge for up to two weeks for a quick grab-and-go treat!
- 4 tablespoons golden raisins, divided
- 6 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- ¾ cup (84 g) walnuts, toasted
- ¾ cup (72 g) old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins, coarsely chopped
- Add 2 tablespoons golden raisins and the dates to a small bowl and cover with boiling water; soak for 3 minutes and then drain, reserving the liquid.
- Transfer the soaked raisins and dates to a food processor along with the vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and walnuts and pulse a few times until crumbly. Add the oats and puree until it comes together as a sticky ball of dough, adding the reserved liquid from soaking the raisins and dates 1 teaspoon at a time to help the dough come together if needed. Pulse in the remaining 2 tablespoons raisins a couple times to combine.
- Use a 1 tablespoon-sized scoop to measure out the dough and roll it into balls.
- If desired, immediately roll each ball in toasted chopped nuts, unsweetened shredded coconut, or toasted oats.
- Store covered in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. (They will lose their stickiness after being in the fridge.)