Vegan Pineapple Black Bean Salad with Pomegranate Arils and Coconut Chips is a delicious balance of sweet and savory flavors!
Mike and I are currently in London, on a quick little whirlwind of a trip. Before we left when we were putting together a list of things we wanted to see, I asked Mike what he was looking forward to most. His reply: the food.
Yeah, that sounds about right.
One of the best things about traveling is getting to experience the culture through the cuisine. Although I try to keep things healthy (or at least balanced) during travel, I’ll be the first to say that deprivation doesn’t make for a happy vacation. And besides that, life is too short to not have a Cornish pasty or two in London and cheese and bread in Paris.
But on the other hand, I always look forward to getting back into my routine after vacation, and that absolutely means getting back into my regular eating habits, including salad for at least one meal of the day (typically lunch)! I enjoy a big green salad as much as the next girl, but sometimes you just need to mix things up a little, and that’s where this beauty comes in.
Tangy sweet pineapple wakes up the flavor of black beans, and red onion, parsley, salt, and pepper add a savory touch to balance out the sweetness of the pomegranate arils and toasted coconut chips. And it comes together in just 10 minutes.
This dish is the perfect example of a salad that actually satisfies like a meal…and bonus, its vegan! It keeps well in the fridge for about four days so if you make it at the beginning of the week you’re all set for a week’s worth of healthy lunches (yup, I know this recipe makes four servings, not five; you’re set for Monday through Thursday because Fridays were made for lunch out, right?). You’re welcome, friends.
- 2 cups (15 oz/425 g) chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 (15 oz/425 g) can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ small red onion, chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate arils
- 2 tablespoons toasted coconut chips (look for the kind without sugar added)
- Stir together the pineapple, black beans, red onion, parsley, oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle on the pomegranate arils and coconut chips. Serve, or store refrigerated for up to 4 days.
Whoa! I love all the textures and flavors in this salad. Hope you had a great trip!
Kevin | Keviniscooking says
I’m a big fan of salads and they don’t always need to have lettuce green either. This is wonderful Faith.
Bethany @ athletic avocado says
Thats a mighty fine salad you got there! All the flavors look incredible together!
What a gorgeous bowl of goodness…I’ve been loving your London pics, my sweet friend. Hope you’re having a wonderful time.