This article will show you How to Make Cauliflower Rice without a food processor. It’s light and fluffy, versatile, and will take on the flavor of any seasonings you add. It’s a great low carb side dish for so many meals!
Within the past few years, this low carb and keto-friendly rice alternative has become hugely popular. You can now find “riced” cauliflower in the produce area of many regular grocery stores. And you can even frequently get frozen riced cauliflower too!
The thing is, you pay a premium for fresh riced cauliflower, and frozen riced cauliflower is a bit too mushy for my taste.
I’m going to show you how to make cauliflower rice, and you won’t believe how fast and easy it really is. Plus you can flavor it any way you like!
How to Make Cauliflower Rice Without a Food Processor
This method for how to make cauliflower rice is faster and easier to make than you might think!
Get out a whole head of fresh cauliflower to start.
Step 1: Trim Off the Leaves
This is as easy as it sounds! Use a sharp paring knife to trim the leaves off the cauliflower head.
Step 2: Wash the Cauliflower
To wash a head of cauliflower, simply run it under cool running water, and then pat it dry.
Step 3: Shred!
Grab your box grater (yup, the one you use to shred and grate cheese), and shred your cauliflower head! I also include the stem because why not, right?
Step 4: Give it a Quick Sauté
Heat a medium to large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. I find that a small head of riced cauliflower (about 1 1/2 pounds) needs a large skillet. Add oil (I usually use avocado oil), and then add the cauliflower.
Cook until the cauliflower starts to soften, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. To prevent it from becoming mushy, be careful not to over-cook it.
Pro Tip: You can also add any seasonings or spices you want!
Step 5: Serve
Serve this delicious low carb side dish warm with anything you like! I like to add fresh herbs on top to brighten up the flavor.
Cauliflower Rice FAQs
How Long Does Cauliflower Rice Last in the Fridge?
Leftovers will keep well in a covered glass container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also freeze it for up to 6 months.
Do I Need a Food Processor to Make Cauliflower Rice?
No! A food processor is handy to make riced cauliflower, but it isn’t necessary. You can easily make it using a cheese grater (aka a box grater)!
Can I Buy Cauliflower Rice at the Grocery Store?
Yes, many grocery stores sell this product in the fresh produce area or in the freezer section.
However, you’ll usually pay a premium for buying fresh riced cauliflower instead of a head of cauliflower that you can easily shred into riced cauliflower yourself. And although frozen riced cauliflower is typically cheaper than fresh riced cauliflower, it has a tendency to be mushy.
For the most cost-effective option with the best flavor, go ahead and buy a head of cauliflower and make it yourself!
More Cauliflower Rice Recipes to Try:
- Low Carb Herbed Cauliflower Rice with Pine Nuts
- Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
- Smoky Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Rice with Toasted Almonds
How to Use Cauliflower Rice:
- As a side dish with Low Carb Butter Chicken
- Make into a Low Carb Chili Garlic Steak Rice Bowl
- Turn it into breakfast with this Keto Cauliflower Hash Browns Recipe
- Transform it into Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice
- Serve it instead of regular rice along with Persian Okra Stew
Did you make this recipe? Please rate it and leave a comment below because I love hearing from you! You can also tag @anediblemosaic on social media. To stay up-to-date FOLLOW ME on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Xoxo, Faith
How to Make Cauliflower Rice
- Trim the leaves off of the cauliflower head.
- Rinse the cauliflower under cool running water and pat dry.
- Use a box grater to shred the cauliflower (the same side you’d use to shred cheese).
- Heat a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the oil. Once hot, add the cauliflower and cook until it’s just starting to soften, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the salt and pepper.
- Garnish with fresh herbs if desired. Serve warm.
- Net Carbs: 5g per serving
- This is the basic method for how to make cauliflower rice, but you can play with the flavor profile! You can also add any seasonings, herbs, or spices you like.
- To make Cauliflower Rice with garlic butter like in the video, melt 2 tablespoons of salted butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Once melted, add 2 cloves of crushed garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Drizzle this over the Cauliflower Rice and serve warm.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links to products I believe in, which means that even though it doesn’t cost you anything extra, I will receive a small amount of money from the sale of these items. Thank you for helping to support An Edible Mosaic!