For those of you who love cozying up to a bowl of broccoli cheddar soup, this Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe will become a regular in your dinner rotation! It’s creamy and rich with savory cheesy flavor and the perfect amount of broccoli. The only thing that’s missing are the carbs!
The other day I happened to use the phrase “back in the day” in front of my grandmother in reference to a bowl of chicken noodle soup I was thoroughly enjoying. It was hilarious.
She said, with a huge sigh, that language has changed again, and I had no idea what “back in the day” truly means! She is an amazing 80-something-year-old, and one of the toughest ladies I know. And she’s probably right, lol!
She went on to tell us that “back in the day” her dad used to tell her “Hark!” when he wanted her to shut up. According to her, it never made a darn bit of difference though, because she never “harked” (i.e., shut up). I’m telling you, my grandmother is quite a character! (She’ll have you roaring in just a 5 minute conversation.)
But the whole reason I thought of that story was because I was about to start this post off by saying back in the day. I’ll refrain, lol. But before I went low carb, Panera’s broccoli was at the top of my list of favorite soups!
Following a low carb and keto friendly lifestyle doesn’t mean that you have to give up your favorites though. My Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup tastes every bit as good as the regular version!
Best Broccoli Cheese Soup
If you’re also a fan of Panera broccoli cheddar soup, make this low carb version! I’m telling you, it’ll become your new favorite and the last cheddar broccoli soup recipe you’ll need.
Cream cheese gives this soup a rich, creamy texture. Sauteed onion and garlic add depth of flavor. Chicken stock makes it rich and hearty, but if you’re vegetarian use your favorite vegetable broth instead. A few seasonings along with cheddar cheese and broccoli complete the flavor profile.
This Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup is also the best because it’s so easy to make! I love a recipe that requires minimal effort with maximum flavor. This one is a total crowd-pleaser!
Healthy Broccoli Cheese Soup
You won’t find any all-purpose flour or cornstarch thickeners in this soup! And also, there’s not a drop of cream. Instead, I use cream cheese to both thicken this Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup and to add creamy texture.
Pro Tip: Using cream cheese has the added bonus of increasing the protein in this soup! 10g protein per serving of this Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup isn’t bad!
Low Carb and Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
Because I wanted to keep this recipe as low in carbs as possible, I only used 1 1/2 cups of broccoli florets. You can increase that to 2 cups or even 2 1/2 cups if you want.
Like I mentioned, cream cheese adds the creamy texture here and I don’t think this soup needs additional cream added. However, feel free to add a splash of heavy cream to make it ultra velvety if you want (note that it will change the nutrition information).
Can You Freeze Cream Soups?
Yes, you can freeze cream soups! I portion it out into individual-sized servings and then pop them in the freezer.
Pro Tip: 1-cup glass storage containers with lids are perfect for this!
How to Reheat Frozen Soups:
- Thaw the soup to room temperature.
- Add it to a saucepan and heat it over medium heat until it starts to simmer, stirring occasionally.
More Low Carb Creamy Soup Recipes to Try:
Did you make this recipe? Please rate it and leave a comment below because I love hearing from you! You can also tag @anediblemosaic on social media. To stay up-to-date FOLLOW ME on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Xoxo, Faith
Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion finely diced
- 2 medium cloves garlic crushed or minced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature and cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 cups steamed broccoli florets
- 2 oz shredded cheddar divided
- 1 scallion green and white parts, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, salt, and black pepper. Turn the heat up and bring to a boil, and then turn the heat back down to a simmer.
- Whisk in the cream cheese a little at a time until the broth is smooth.
- Stir in the broccoli and cook until warm, about 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in half the shredded cheddar.
- Serve the soup with the remaining cheddar and the scallion sprinkled on top.
- Net Carbs: 10g per serving
- Using cream cheese instead of flour and cream yields thick, creamy texture and has the added bonus of increasing the protein in this soup!
- This soup is freezer-friendly and great for meal prep. I portion it out into individual-sized servings and then pop them in the freezer.
To Make This Soup in the Instant Pot
- Heat the oil in an Instant Pot on the "Saute" function. Once hot, add the onion and cook until it's starting to soften, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the garlic and cook 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Press "Cancel" to turn off the "Saute" function.
- Stir in the chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, salt, black pepper, and broccoli florets. Cover the Instant Pot and set it to "Manual, High Pressure" for 1 minute. Once it's done, vent it to release the steam.
- Add the cream cheese and half the shredded cheddar, and put the lid back on for 3 minutes to help the cheese melt.
- Stir to incorporate the cheese, and then serve.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links to products I believe in, which means that even though it doesn’t cost you anything extra, I will receive a small amount of money from the sale of these items. Thank you for helping to support An Edible Mosaic!