With all the amazing looking grilled cheese recipes that have been floating around the internet recently you probably know that April is National Grilled Cheese month.
I had no idea that such a thing existed until the lovely Jo-Lynne (of Musings of a Housewife) asked me if I wanted to create a grilled cheese recipe in honor of the occasion. (Of course I said yes. :) )
It was recommended that the sandwich include Udi’s Gluten Free Bread and Horizon Organic Cheese. I received three loaves of Udi’s bread to try: Millet Chia, Omega Flax & Fiber, and White Sandwich. Even though I occasionally make gluten free baked goods (mostly muffins and cookies) this was my first time trying gluten free bread and I wasn’t sure what to expect (when it comes to bread, I’m a croissant/baguette/country loaf-loving kind of girl, you know?). But I admit I was impressed with all three loaves. The omega flax and fiber was my favorite; it had great flavor and a nice chewy texture. The millet chia was delicious too; not quite as dense as the omega flax and fiber, but still hearty. The white sandwich was completely different from the two other loaves (this one was incredibly light and airy), but I really enjoyed it too; it was fantastic toasted and spread with a little butter and jam. (P.S. I also received two coupons for Horizon Organic products — their cheese was delicious also!)
So back to grilled cheese. How did my grilled cheese come to be?, you ask.
I knew I wanted to use the omega flax and fiber bread (since it’s dense and chewy and I wanted something hearty for my grilled cheese). I was craving a spinach calzone something fierce and I thought why not make it into a grilled cheese?
It rocked my world. I’ll be making it again…and again. (Especially when a calzone craving strikes.) :)
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 oz fresh baby spinach
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 teaspoons butter
- 8 slices bread (I used Udi’s Gluten Free Omega Flax & Fiber Bread)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I used Horizon Organic Shredded Mozzarella Cheese)
- 4 teaspoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Chunky Marinara Sauce, store-bought or homemade (I used my recipe for Chunky Pizza Sauce that's in my Pizza Burgers post)
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat; add the onion and cook a few minutes until softened (you can let it caramelize a little if you want), stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, spinach, salt, pepper, and a splash of water and cook until the spinach is wilted and the water is evaporated, stirring constantly so the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Spread 1 teaspoon butter on 1 side of each slice of bread. Arrange 4 slices of bread (butter side down) on a cutting board and sprinkle 2 tablespoons of shredded mozzarella on top of each. Divide the spinach mixture between the four sandwiches, spreading it on top of the mozzarella, and then sprinkle 2 tablespoons more mozzarella on top of the spinach. Place the remaining slices of bread on each (butter side up).
- Grill the sandwiches in a large frying pan (or on a griddle) over low heat until golden on both sides. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of grated Parmesan cheese on top of each sandwich and serve warm, along with Chunky Marinara Sauce for dipping.
Disclaimer: I received the Udi’s Gluten Free Bread and Horizon Organic Cheese used in this recipe for free; as always, opinions stated are my own.
It sounds so scrumptious! What kind of wine would you pair with this? This with a light broth or vegetable broth soup sound so good! Can’t wait for winter!
Hello, so this looks delicious and I will definitely be trying this! And I wanted to point out, as you probably saw, that we have the same name :D Which is pretty awesome.
I can imagine it rocked your world! It rocked mine just oggling the lovely photos. I was thinking garlic would taste great in a sandwich like this and was glad to see that in the ingredients-I so have to try this.
You made one of my favorite meals! Grilled cheese is the best!
[email protected] says
Making this for the family tonight but using leftover halloumi cheese instead of the mozzarella. Having it with cinnamon and ginger-spiked sweet potato and Bramley apple soup because it is still chilly here :D
LP @dishclips says
Love the addition of the spinach. Thanks for sharing!
[email protected]'s Recipes says
This is SCRUMPTIOUS!
[email protected] says
What a fantastically inventive take on what I remember to be a real stodge fest. I haven’t had one in over 20 years but now I just might, especially as it is a way of jazzing up gf bread. And I love that you were inspired by craving for calzone. To my mind your recipe sounds miles better than a big doughy calzone that, although delicious, can sit like stone in the stomach. Bravo. I wish I weren’t reading this on a slightly grumbling pre-bed tummy!
Magic of Spice says
I am pretty sure I need this…right now! So delicious!!!
E.M. Monroe says
This sandwich and the instructions for making it looking phenomenal!!!
Blond Duck says
This sounds amazing!
Yes, I saw a great calzone in the NYT the other week and was drooling. This is a great way to get the flavors without the mess of making doughs and such.. Great recipe Faith and wonderful pictures!
I have spent all of April craving grilled cheese and still haven’t made it yet because I’ve been too lazy to bake bread. Doh! This gorgeous sandwich has me drooling though. I need to get this going.
nancy at good food matters says
this is my kind of grilled cheese, too. the spinach does add a nice healthful element to the melt.
Mmm, this grilled panino looks delicious! It gives the idea of a pizza undercover and this is something I really love!
Alyssa @ Everyday Maven says
That is a good looking grilled cheese Faith!
Spinach and cheese together…yum:)
I love grilled cheese and this looks really good! I’ve been looking for good gluten free bread so I’ll have to check that Udi’s out.
Nicole, RD says
That looks amazing! Your chunky pizza sauce is so, so good! It sounds perfect in this sandwich! :)
A restaurant nearby makes a very similar grilled cheese and it is out of this world! mmmm
Mmmm….sounds wonderful. I’ve been doing mozz and pesto, but I could definitely change it up for some spinach!
Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar says
Mmm the perfect grilled cheese!
Scrumptious looking! I love your choice of filling.