Last week when I posted my recipe for Thai-Inspired Fried Rice with Chicken I included a little teaser for this salad. I love this salad with any Thai dish, and now I know it must be a reader favorite too – I’ve received a ton of emails requesting the recipe in the past week!
This basic recipe for Thai-Inspired Sweet & Tangy Cucumber Salad is my favorite, but I’ve also seen versions that use crushed peanut, cilantro, scallion, garlic, fish sauce, lime juice, and/or crushed red pepper flakes. Feel free to experiment with it and come up with a unique version that you like best.
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons white sugar (or you could try it with honey instead; if so, start with about half the amount)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium English cucumber, halved length-wise and thinly sliced (see note below)
- 1 medium white onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried, crushed mint leaves (or 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint leaves)
- Whisk together the vinegar, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl until the salt and sugar are dissolved.
- Stir in the cucumber, onion, and mint.
- Refrigerate at least one hour (but up to four) before serving.
Lori Lynn says
Nice. Cucumber + onion + mint = 1 refreshing salad
Alyssa (Everyday Maven) says
I love this type of salad (really, any cucumber salad!) and make one that is similar but with a chile every time I made Thai food too :)
Vicki Bensinger says
I love the freshness of cucumber salads and yours looks delish!
Laura (Tutti Dolci) says
I love cucumber salad, can’t wait to try this!
A lovely salad! It is the perfect accompaniment to fiery currie…
looks so good, Faith. I am in the mood for light dishes lately and this is a winner.
dixya @ food, pleasure, and health says
thanks a lot for the recipe. I will be trying both the salad and fried rice soon :) and the curry looks delicioussssss. do you think basil could be substituted for mint?
Dixya, Yes, definitely try it with basil – Thai basil, if you can find it! Let me know how it is if you give it a try!
Nutmeg Nanny says
Yum! I love cucumber salad. It always reminds me of spring and having family BBQ’s.
Fantastic! That sweet paired with the vinegar is so good!