This Watermelon Salad Skewers Appetizer is sweet, salty, and savory with fresh juicy watermelon, tomato, basil, and feta. It's perfect for packing on your next summer picnic!
One of the most quintessential summer foods is watermelon, and for good reason. Not only is it delicious, but it’s about 92% water. It’s refreshing, as well as a great way to help stay hydrated. And it’s fun!
There’s nothing quite like packing a giant watermelon and slicing it up when you’re on a picnic or at a BBQ. Everyone’s face lights up when they see it. As a bonus, you can also slice it up ahead of time, stash it in portable containers, and grab it on the go.
Watermelon Salad Skewers are a delicious summer appetizer. They have a balanced flavor profile, and are satisfying but not heavy. Also, they feel elegant, but couldn't be easier to make!
What is Watermelon Good For?
There are a lot of benefits that come along with fresh watermelon. And did you know that the whole thing is edible?! Here are just a few of the health benefits watermelon provides:
- One cup (154 g) of watermelon (the red part) contains 21% of the RDI of vitamin C and 18% of the RDI of vitamin A (read more on Healthline)
- Additionally, the red flesh is rich in lycopene, which is an antioxidant that’s thought to have anti-inflammatory properties (information from LiveScience)
- The white portion of the melon that’s near the rind is a good source of the amino acid citrulline, which converts to the amino acid arginine and helps promote blood flow and contributes to cardiovascular health (additional information can be found on LiveScience)
- Watermelon seeds are also a good source of protein, magnesium, vitamin B, and healthy fats (see Science Publishing Group)
- And even the rind is nutritious, providing a good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium, zinc, and chlorophyll, to name just a few (more on the benefits of watermelon rind can be found on Organic Facts; check out a recipe for Watermelon Rind Pickles on Small Footprint Family)
How to Stay Hydrated in the Summer
We all know how important hydration is, especially in summer weather with that killer combination of high temps and humidity. When I let myself get even a little bit dehydrated, I tend to feel lightheaded and lethargic. Also, a terrible headache comes on pretty quickly.
Here are a few tips to help you stay hydrated:
- Bring a water bottle with you wherever you go.
- If you want to amp up your water, add a pinch of sea salt and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice!
- Sip on fluids throughout the day, don’t just chug them when you’re thirsty.
- Be mindful of your intake of liquids that may have a diuretic effect, like coffee and alcohol.
- Eat fresh produce with a high water content, such as watermelon!
The Best Watermelon Salad Skewers Appetizer Recipe
- Cherry tomatoes
How to Make Watermelon Skewers
- Thread cubes of watermelon, cubes of feta, cherry tomatoes, and basil leaves onto appetizer-sized skewers.
- Drizzle the white wine reduction on top (or balsamic glaze).
Equipment for This Recipe
How to Store Watermelon Skewers
Store these in an airtight food storage container in the fridge for up to 1 day. Wait to drizzle the white wine reduction on top until right before you want to serve them.
Variations on This Watermelon Appetizer Recipe
These skewers are a fun recipe to play with different flavors! Here are a few ideas:
- Italian style. Swap out feta and the white wine reduction, and instead use mini mozzarella balls and a drizzle of balsamic reduction.
- Make it minty. Skip the tomatoes and basil, and use strawberries and mint instead.
- Add crunch. Add cucumber slices as well!
More Watermelon Recipes to Try
- Watermelon Slice Popsicles from Nutrition Stripped
- Watermelon Dippers with Honey Vanilla Yogurt Sauce from Mom to Mom Nutrition
- 5 Minute Easy Watermelon Sorbet from Oh, the Things We’ll Make!
- Watermelon Salad with Sweet and Spicy Vinaigrette from An Edible Mosaic
Did you make this recipe? Please rate it and leave a comment below because I love hearing from you! You can also tag @anediblemosaic on social media. To stay up-to-date FOLLOW ME on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Xoxo, Faith
Watermelon Salad Skewers Appetizer
- 16 appetizer skewers (cocktail picks)
Sweet and Spicy White Wine Reduction:
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 32 basil leaves
- 2 slices watermelon cut into 1-inch cubes (you'll need 16 cubes for this recipe)
- 8 oz feta cut into 16 cubes
- For the white wine reduction, add all ingredients to a small skillet over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook until it’s reduced to about 2 tablespoons, about 7 to 10 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh sieve and then cool to room temperature.
- For the skewers, thread a cherry tomato onto a skewer, and then a basil leaf, feta cube, basil leaf, and then watermelon cube. Repeat until you have 16 skewers.
- Right before serving, drizzle the white wine reduction on top.
- This recipe makes 16 skewers; each serving is 2 skewers for a total of 8 servings.
- Dry White Wine: If you don’t use wine, you can use white grape juice instead and omit the sugar. Or to save time, just use balsamic glaze instead.
- Store these in an airtight food storage container in the fridge for up to 1 day. Wait to drizzle the white wine reduction on top until right before you want to serve them.
This post was first published on An Edible Mosaic on July 23, 2018. I updated it with more information on August 6, 2021.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links to products I believe in, which means that even though it doesn’t cost you anything extra, I will receive a small amount of money from the sale of these items. Thank you for helping to support An Edible Mosaic!