So, granola. I won’t even try to sell you on it because I know you’re probably already a fan. And if you are, you will probably be interested in my Pumpkin Spice Granola, which is one of my all-time favs.
And if you’re not, I’d say avert your eyes or X out of this window…but I’m not going to say that because this granola is so unlike a traditional granola that you might just like it.
For starters, it is completely grain-free, meaning it doesn’t even have oats! (I know, a granola without oats is almost criminal, isn’t it? But just taste it…)
You’re probably thinking since there aren’t any grains in it, I had to go with nuts; but nope, it’s also nut-free, making it the perfect choice for people with nut allergies. With four different kinds of seeds it is a nutritional powerhouse that is the perfect way to start your day.
Paleo Maple-Cinnamon Granola
- 2 cups (300 g) raw unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 3/4 cups (250 g) raw unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1 1/3 cups (150 g) golden flaxseed meal
- 1 cup (150 g) unhulled sesame seeds (or an extra 1 cup (150 g) sunflower seeds)
- 2/3 cup (150 g) coconut oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375F; line a large baking sheet (a half-sheet pan) with parchment paper or a silpat liner.
- Add the sunflower seeds to a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped (it should look similar to granola). Pulse in the pumpkin seeds to break up the pumpkin seeds a little, leaving most whole. Pour this mixture along with the flaxseed meal and sesame seeds into a large bowl and set aside.
- Add the coconut oil or ghee, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt to a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until the coconut oil is melted, about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the coconut oil mixture over the sunflower seed mixture and stir to combine.
- Spread the granola out onto the prepared baking sheet in an even layer and bake until golden, about 35 to 45 minutes, tossing well once every 15 minutes.
- Cool completely and then gently toss to break up the granola.
- Store in an airtight container at cool room temperature up to 3 weeks.