These kid-friendly lactose-free Easy Vegetarian Baked Taquitos are full of gooey cheese and Tex-Mex flavor, and couldn’t be easier to make!
Every December, it’s easy to get swept up in the allure of baking in general and cookie-making in particular. But there’s a whole host of holiday parties going on and we need regular food too, right?!
In the spirit of putting together a spread of food for your next holiday party that appeals to kiddos as well as adults, I offer you these taquitos. They’re crunchy outside and full of melty cheese inside with a hint of Tex-Mex spice. Scallion and cilantro brighten up the flavor, and red and green bell peppers make them look festive. And they’re ready to put out for little ones in just 30 minutes (but really, I bet you’ll see a few big kiddos reaching for them too…I have yet to come across someone who doesn’t love a good taquito!).
I used GO VEGGIE Lactose and Soy Free Cheddar Shreds here, which have less fat and more calcium than ordinary cheese and are free of cholesterol, lactose, and gluten. To keep the taquitos gluten-free, look for corn or another type of gluten-free soft tortillas. Also, you can use smaller tortillas if you prefer, but I like a higher filling-to-bread ratio that you get by using larger tortillas (and you can always cut them in half so they’re easier for tiny hands to pick up!).
These go way beyond just holiday parties though; they make the perfect after-school snack year-round and you can play with the fillings as you like. Add leftover cooked chicken if you have it on hand, or swap out the veggies I used for whatever your favorite is.
Share with us…what’s your go-to kid-friendly party food?
- 1 (8 oz/227 g) bag GO VEGGIE Lactose and Soy Free Cheddar Shreds
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped small
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped small
- 3 scallions, green and white parts, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon no-salt-added taco spice blend (see Note)
- 12 to 16 soft flour tortillas (I used tortillas that were 7 to 8-inches diameter)
- Olive oil, for the baking sheet
- Chopped fresh herbs
- Your favorite salsa
- Preheat the oven to 425F; drizzle a little oil on a large baking sheet.
- For the filling, toss the shreds, bell peppers, scallion, cilantro, and taco spice blend together in a large bowl.
- Scoop about ¼-cup of the filling onto the center of a 7 or 8-inch soft flour tortilla, tightly roll it up, and place it seem-side-down onto the prepared baking sheet. Continue this way until you run out of filling or tortillas. Drizzle a little oil on top of the taquitos.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes, flipping the taquitos over once halfway through cooking.
- Sprinkle on your favorite fresh herbs if desired, and serve warm along with salsa for dipping.
Gluten-Free Version: Use corn or another type of gluten-free soft tortillas.
Disclosure: I received the GO VEGGIE products that I used in this recipe for free, and I also received compensation for developing the recipe. I am happy for the opportunity to share brands that I believe in with my readers, and I hope you enjoy my recipe. As always, opinions stated are my own.