Ballpark Blondies, aka Brown Butter Blondies with Caramel Corn, Salted Peanuts, and White and Dark Chocolate Chips. They’re as amazing as they sound, and perfect for any summer gathering.
I have been waiting to share these blondies with you since last December! One weekend afternoon in early December I found myself with a hankering to bake something (because December and baking just go hand-in-hand, right?).
I took a quick peak into my pantry and found a quarter of a bag of caramel corn and the remains of a can of salted peanuts and an idea started to take shape in my mind. I scrounged around a bit more (scavenging around your own kitchen and finding surprises is always fun, lol) and found the remnants of bags of white and dark chocolate chips in my freezer. I was debating between cookies and blondies and because they’re just ever so slightly easier to make (no scooping dough!), blondies won the day.
These reminded me of being a kid and going to baseball games with my dad where caramel corn and salted peanuts (as well as hot dogs) were necessities. My sister and I always had the best time, not because we were into baseball (although we did think the mascot was pretty cool and we liked the sing-alongs), but because of the food. Those food memories are why I have a fondness for baseball now, even though I really couldn’t care less as to who wins or loses.
In addition to all the special add-ins, what really makes these blondies is the brown butter. It adds depth to the sweetness with a subtly nutty caramel flavor. If you’ve never browned butter before, you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is (I give a link in the Notes below the recipe if you want to check out a step-by-step tutorial on how to do it).
Of course these blondies would be perfect for bringing along to a ball game, but I happen to think they’re pretty perfect for any summer gathering. They’d be a great addition to your Memorial Day dessert spread!
- 10 tablespoons (142 g) unsalted butter, browned and cooled slightly (see Note)
- ¾ cup (150 g) sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 cup (128 g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground mahlab (optional)
- 1 slightly heaping cup caramel corn
- ½ cup lightly salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F; line an 8 by 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper so that it hangs over all 4 sides and you can just lift out the blondies.
- Whisk together the brown butter, sugar, egg, vanilla extract, and molasses. Stir in the flour, salt, and mahlab, and then fold in the caramel corn, peanuts, and chocolate chips. (The batter will be very thick.)
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spread it out as evenly as possible, and bake until golden on the outside, but still a touch doughy in the center, about 20 to 23 minutes (be careful not to overbake, as these are best gooey in the center).
- Cool completely before cutting.
- Recipe adapted from my recipe for Butterbeer Brown Butter Blondies with Toasted Pecans.