These Patriotic Red White and Blue Blondies are rich and chewy with a slightly gooey center and buttery brown sugar vanilla flavor. They’re festive and fun for Memorial Day, the Fourth of July, or any summer picnic, potluck, or BBQ!
If you’re looking for quick and easy crowd-pleasing treat to make this summer, this is the recipe for you.
Delicious, decadent blondies get a patriotic makeover with this easy Patriotic Red White and Blue Blondies Recipe!
Blondies are a fun summer dessert that whip up in less than 45 minutes with just 15 minutes of hands-on prep time. I like to serve them along with a meal of hamburgers and hot dogs or grilled chicken. They’re the perfect treat to add to a dessert table!
And if you want to make these blondies feel extra special, you can serve them slightly warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. Or take it one step further…
For Memorial Day, the Fourth of July, or any summer gathering, to make dessert even more special, you could set up an ice cream sundae table. Making your own sundaes is so much fun!
Along with these Red White and Blue Blondies, include a couple kinds of ice cream, a few different flavors of syrup (like hot fudge, caramel, etc.), and several toppings (such as sprinkles, chocolate chips, gummy bears, chopped nuts, etc.). And of course don’t forget the whipped cream.
Patriotic Red White and Blue Blondies Recipe
This recipe is quick and easy to bake up. And blondies are always a hit!
Red White and Blue Cookie Bars Ingredients
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Light brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Vanilla bean paste
- All-purpose flour
- Red, white, and blue sprinkles
- White chocolate
How to Make Patriotic Blondies
- Melt the butter and let it cool slightly.
- Whisk the granulated sugar and brown sugar into the warm butter.
- The mixture will be somewhat gritty.
- Add the egg, vanilla extract, and vanilla bean paste, and whisk to combine. The mixture will start to turn thick and glossy.
- Whisk in the flour and salt.
- Stir in the sprinkles and chopped white chocolate.
- The batter will be somewhat runny, this is normal.
- Transfer the batter to an 8 by 8-inch baking dish lined with parchment paper.
- Bake until the blondies are set along the outside, but still look a touch gooey in the center.
- Once they’re cool, drizzle on melted white chocolate if desired.
How to Store Blondies
Store blondies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. The flavor and texture is generally best during the first 3 days after making them.
Equipment for This Recipe
Variations on This Recipe
- Use any color sprinkles you want.
- Instead of white chocolate, use milk chocolate or dark chocolate.
- Change up the extract flavor. Instead of vanilla, use almond or coconut! (I would use a little bit less if you go with something other than vanilla extract because other extracts can sometimes be overpowering.)
Tips for Making Red White and Blue Blondies
- The butter should be fully melted and cooled slightly, but still warm to the touch. This is the key to getting a beautiful sugar-crackled crust.
- Blondies by nature are dense and chewy with a slightly gooey center. There’s no need for a leavening agent in this recipe!
- Feel free to change the color of sprinkles you use to match any season. For example, green and white are fun for St. Patrick’s Day and red and green are perfect for Christmas.
What is the Difference Between Blondies and Brownies?
Blondies, which are sometimes called “blonde brownies”, have a vanilla base flavor. On the other hand, brownies have a chocolate base flavor.
However, you can still add chocolate to your blondies! Chocolate chips are a popular addition to blondies.
Are Blondies Supposed to be Gooey in the Middle?
The short answer: yes!
The longer explanation is that when blondies are overcooked they tend to be dry and hard. However, when blondies are cooked properly they’re chewy and rich, with a slightly gooey center.
How Do You Know When Blondies Are Done?
The trick to blondies that are rich and gooey, but not undercooked is to know when to pull them out of the oven at just the right time.
Blondies are done cooking when they’re light golden along the outside. The outside should slightly pull away from the pan, and the blondies should puff up slightly.
Pro Tip: The blondies will look a touch undercooked in the middle when they’re done. They’ll continue cooking in the pan even after you remove them from the oven. This is how you’ll get a delicious, slightly gooey center.
More Cookie Bars Recipes to Try
- Flourless Pecan Pie Cashew Butter Blondies
- Healthy Date Bars
- Peanut Butter Blondies
- Strawberry Cheesecake Bars
- Cinnamon Apple Brown Butter Blondies
I love hearing from you!
Did you make this recipe? Please rate it and leave a comment.
You can also tag @anediblemosaic on social media.
To stay up-to-date, follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter!
Patriotic Red White and Blue Blondies Recipe
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar lightly packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons red white and blue sprinkles divided
- 1/2 cup chopped white chocolate optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line an 8 by 8-inch baking pan with 2 sheets of parchment paper so it hangs over all 4 sides.
- Whisk together the melted butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar in a large bowl. Whisk in the egg, vanilla extract, and vanilla bean paste. Add the flour and salt, and whisk to combine. Stir in 5 tablespoons sprinkles and the white chocolate.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan and sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon sprinkles on top. Bake until the blondies puff up and are light golden along the outside, about 22 to 25 minutes, being careful not to overbake.
- Let the blondies cool completely in the pan before removing and cutting.
- Decorating Tip: If desired, once the blondies are cool drizzle a little white chocolate decoratively on top.
- Storage: Store leftover blondies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Leave a Reply