Serve this Oven Roasted Tomatoes recipe as a side dish, appetizer, salad, or a perfect lunch on top of pasta with pine nuts, mozzarella, and fresh basil! Roasted Tomatoes are sweet, juicy, and perfectly accented with garlic, olive oil, and a splash of balsamic vinegar.
I love super sweet cherry tomatoes. They’re perfect for topping salads with, but my favorite way to eat them is out-of-hand, just like candy. But what happens when you buy too many tomatoes and they’ve been sitting around for a week or so? Or when they’re not quite in season and aren’t really all that flavorful?
That’s easy – make Roasted Tomatoes!
The really great thing about making Roasted Tomatoes is that you don’t need tomatoes that are at their peak in terms of freshness or flavor. This is because roasting enhances the flavor of tomatoes. It pulls out their natural sweetness and concentrates their tomato flavor.
Roasted Tomatoes Recipe
Ingredients for Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- Cherry or grape tomatoes
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Good-quality balsamic vinegar
- Coarse kosher salt
- Crushed red pepper flakes
Ingredients to Serve Roasted Tomatoes on Pasta
- Spaghetti noodles
- Fresh mozzarella or parmesan
- Pine nuts (optional)
- Fresh basil
How to Make Oven Roasted Tomatoes
Add all ingredients to a large baking tray.
Toss everything around to coat the tomatoes.
Roast for 10 minutes at 400F, tossing the tomatoes once halfway through. Turn the heat down to 325F. Roast for 15 minutes more, tossing once halfway through.
When they’re done, the tomatoes will look wrinkly. Some may split and others may burst – it’s ok!
The Roasted Tomatoes are ready to use in a number of different ways. If you’re looking for an easy lunch, add them to pasta along with fresh mozzarella, pine nuts, and basil.
How to Store Roasted Tomatoes
Store Roasted Tomatoes covered in a glass jar (with their juices) in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Alternatively, you can freeze Roasted Tomatoes for up to 6 months.
Tips for Making Roasted Tomatoes
- Use a really good-quality balsamic vinegar in this recipe because the flavor will concentrate as it cooks.
- Add 2 tablespoons of fresh rosemary, thyme, or oregano during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Don’t forget to stir the tomatoes a couple times during the cooking process. This helps make sure the garlic doesn’t burn.
Roasted Tomatoes FAQs
Do You Peel Tomatoes Before Roasting?
It depends on the recipe! This Roasted Tomatoes Recipe uses small tomatoes, such as cherry or grape tomatoes, so there’s no need to peel the tomatoes before roasting.
Can I Roast Canned Diced Tomatoes?
Yes! In a pinch you can roast canned diced tomatoes.
To do so, preheat the oven to 350F. Drain the canned diced tomatoes. Spread them out onto a large (rimmed) baking tray. Add a drizzle of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until they start to caramelize, about 1 hour to 1 hour, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
What Can I do With Roasted Cherry Tomatoes?
- Serve them on top of hummus.
- Add them to a burger instead of ketchup.
- Make them into Chicken Caprese.
- Add them to an omelet along with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
- Serve them as bruschetta on toasted bread rounds along with fresh oregano.
- Use them as a base to make vegetable soup.
- Puree them and add vegetable stock to make tomato soup.
- Make them into Fancy Toast!
More Tomato Recipes to Try
- Baked Eggplant Recipe with Tomato
- Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- Spiralized Yellow Squash Noodles with Tomatoes, Pesto, and Parmesan
- Pan Seared Cod in White Wine Tomato Basil Sauce
- Cheesy Tomato Basil Chowder
Oven Roasted Tomatoes Recipe with Pasta, Pine Nuts, and Mozzarella
For the Roasted Tomatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Add all ingredients to a large baking tray and toss everything around to coat the tomatoes.
- Roast for 10 minutes at 400F, tossing the tomatoes once halfway through.
- Turn the heat down to 325F. Roast for 15 minutes more, tossing once halfway through.
To Serve with Pasta:
- Divide the pasta between 4 serving bowls. Top each with 1/4 of the tomatoes, 1/4 of the fresh mozzarella, 1 tablespoon pine nuts, and 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh basil.
- Serve immediately.
- Nutritional Information: Information is given for the Oven Roasted Tomatoes Recipe with Pasta, Pine Nuts, and Mozzarella (not just the roasted tomatoes).
- Low Carb Version: For the low carb version of this dish, serve the roasted tomatoes on low carb pasta.
- Storage: Store Roasted Tomatoes covered in a glass jar (with their juices) in the fridge for up to 5 days.