This Creamy Almond Brown Rice Pudding Recipe is rich and flavorful, and comes together in just 20 minutes thanks to a secret ingredient!
It’s been a while since I talked about our pudding obsession.
Our obsession hasn’t gone anywhere, but I don’t want to bombard and overwhelm you with pudding, of all things. That would just be weird.
However, it’s been long enough since I shared a pudding recipe (too long, really!), and I absolutely had to share this version.
Brown Rice Pudding Recipe
This Creamy Almond Brown Rice Pudding Recipe uses something that you might not have thought about using to make pudding: brown rice farina!
With almond extract perfuming the pudding and toasted almonds gracing the top, this pudding is an almond-lovers dream. I also use a little bit of mahlab, a spice that’s used judiciously in certain Middle Eastern dishes. I think it tastes like a cross between cherries and almonds, and it adds that little touch that makes people wonder ingredient they can’t quite put their finger on.
If you like pudding but don’t usually take the time to make homemade, you will go crazy for this rice pudding on-the-quick!
Pro Tip: This pudding can definitely pass for breakfast, especially if paired with fresh fruit.
What is Brown Rice Farina?
Brown rice farina is simply milled brown rice, meaning it’s brown rice that’s cut into smaller pieces. It cooks fast compared with uncut rice grains, and brown rice farina is commonly made into breakfast porridge.
Think of it as the difference between old-fashioned rolled oats and instant oats.
What Kind of Rice to Use for Rice Pudding?
There are several different types of rice that work well for rice pudding. White rice is good for making rice pudding, and the shorter the grain, the more creamy the pudding. You can also use brown rice to make rice pudding.
In this recipe, I use brown rice farina so the pudding cooks fast.
More Pudding Recipes to Try:
- Toasted Coconut Cream Pudding
- Black Forest Chia Seed Pudding
- Butterbeer Pudding
- Old Fashioned Butterscotch Pudding
- Blackberry Lemon Chia Pudding
- Nutella Pudding
Did you make this recipe? Please rate it and leave a comment below because I love hearing from you! You can also tag @anediblemosaic on social media. To stay up-to-date FOLLOW ME on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Xoxo, Faith
Creamy Almond Brown Rice Pudding Recipe
- 3/4 cup brown rice farina
- 3 cups milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt plus 1/8 teaspoon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mahlab optional
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons toasted almonds finely chopped (for garnish)
- Stir together the brown rice farina, milk, water, sugar, salt, and mahlab in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, then turn heat down slightly and simmer (uncovered) until thickened, about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and almond extracts.
- Carefully ladle into 4 individual-sized bowls. Cool to room temperature, and then refrigerate until fully chilled (about 2 hours). You can place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of each pudding if you don’t want a “skin” to form.
- Serve chilled, with the almonds sprinkled decoratively on top.
- This pudding can be served immediately if you like it hot. However, once it cools down, it’s hard to reheat because the consistency changes, so I recommend serving it right away if you want to serve it hot.
This post was first published on An Edible Mosaic on September 18, 2014. I updated it with more information on July 15, 2020.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links to products I believe in, which means that even though it doesn’t cost you anything extra, I will receive a small amount of money from the sale of these items. Thank you for helping to support An Edible Mosaic!
Simi Jois says
These look so inviting, I just want to grab one and dig in.
[email protected] says
Great idea for a pudding and an even better one for breakfast
Alyssa (Everyday Maven) says
I love the flavors in this pudding Faith – I bet it’s so good!
YUM! Have you tried it with almond milk and maple syrup (to make it vegan)? I bet it’d be fab!
Ksenia @ At the Immigrant's Table says
Ah! A rice pudding recipe I can get behind! Mahlad is definitely a great addition, as it’s often served in milky drinks where I come from. Now, just need my hands on some of it!
We all love rice pudding, can;t wait to try this version!
A deliciously healthy treat! I love malhab and rice pudding.
Culinary Flavors says
This is a very common and easy dessert we make very often in Greece! I love your puddings Faith!
Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar says
I love rice pudding, and this sounds lovely! Yum!