Crumble-Topped Peanut Butter Strawberry Jam Bars utilize that classic flavor favorite combo in a delicious back-to-school lunchtime treat.
When it comes to keeping packed lunches interesting, the struggle is real. As a kid I remember getting bored with nearly every type of sandwich my mom packed (which was typically just a rotation between turkey and tunafish with the occasional pb&j thrown in if I was lucky) within the first month of school starting!
Lunchtime dessert was usually some kind of fruit (more often than not, an apple, or if my mom was feeling adventurous, grapes) and beyond that, I really don’t remember the contents of my school lunches. I want to say milk was involved? Maybe. Talking to my niece, it seems like school lunches these days are a lot more exciting!
Word on the street (or, more accurately, word from my niece, lol) is that kids now pack things like salad bowls, hummus, and cheese and crackers. Exotic fruit is the norm, and my niece even adds things like a square of dark chocolate for dessert and sparkling water to drink. Whoa, that’s fancy.
School lunches have come a long way and I’d say these Crumble-Topped Peanut Butter Strawberry Jam Bars would fit in quite nicely with the upgraded school lunches kids are used to now. For this recipe I used Peanut Butter & Co. The Bee’s Knees peanut butter and Crofters Organic Strawberry Premium Spread to really take the flavor of these bars to the next level. Who wouldn’t be happy with one of these jam bars tucked into their lunchbox for dessert, right?
What’s your go-to packed lunch?
- ½ cup (115 g) unsalted butter, slightly softened
- ¾ cup (170 g) light brown sugar, lightly packed
- ¾ cup Peanut Butter & Co. The Bee’s Knees peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup (65 g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (100 g) old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup (145 g) Crofters Organic Strawberry Premium Spread
- Preheat oven to 350F; line an 8 by 8-inch pan with 2 pieces of parchment paper so it hangs over all 4 sides.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl, and then beat in the peanut butter, egg, and vanilla. Sift in the flour, salt, and baking powder, and beat just to combine, being careful not to over-mix. Stir in the oats.
- Press ⅔ of the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread the jam on top, leaving a rim of about ¼ inch all the way around. Crumble the remaining ⅓ of the dough on the top.
- Bake until the bars look golden along the outside, about 32 minutes for gooey bars in the center, or up to 38 minutes for more set bars, being careful not to over-bake.
- Cool completely before cutting and serving. Store any leftovers wrapped at room temperature for up to 3 days.
For more lunchtime inspiration, head over to Peanut Butter & Co., and to keep the flavors exciting check out the other Crofters Organic Premium Spreads flavors here. These two companies have teamed up for a giveaway of peanut butter and premium spread; head over here to enter!
Disclosure: I received the peanut butter and premium spread that I used in this recipe for free from Peanut Butter & Co. and Crofters, and I also received compensation for this post. I am happy for the opportunity to share brands that I believe in with my readers, and I hope you enjoy my recipe. As always, opinions stated are my own.