This gluten-free Easy Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers recipe is a delicious and fast weeknight dinner! It’s a great use for leftover steak, but feel free to swap out chicken if that’s what you have on hand; I also give easy vegan and paleo options.
I know it’s December and we’re in the throes of the holiday season, but I’m taking a break from the festivities for a quick minute to bring you something you’ll hopefully find useful: a 20-minute family-friendly dinner idea!
Unless you’re vegetarian, you’ll find this recipe to be a real crowd-pleaser. (And heads-up, if you are vegetarian or even vegan, no worries because you can skip the steak and use a can of your favorite beans or even sautéed tofu instead. To keep it vegan, go with a vegan-friendly cheese or skip it altogether.)
I love the fact that this is low-carb (there’s no rice in this stuffed pepper filling!), because balance is so important this time of year. (Skipping the carbs in dinner means I *might* get to indulge in a cookie later, lol. I’m kidding, you know there will be a cookie or two.)
You can serve this dish with a side salad or some crusty bread if keeping the meal low-carb isn’t a concern.
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or light olive oil), divided
- 2 medium-large bell peppers, halved and cored
- 1 medium-large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 medium-large bell peppers, halved, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 6 to 8 oz (170 to 225 g) cooked steak, thinly sliced across the grain
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 oz (115 g) cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375F; drizzle ½ tablespoon oil in the bottom of an 8 by 8-inch casserole dish or 9-inch pie plate. Put the halved bell peppers in the prepared dish (cut side down) and bake for 12 minutes. Remove the peppers from the oven and flip them over so they’re cut side up; set aside for now. Leave the oven on because you’ll need to bake the stuffed peppers.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. To do so, heat the remaining 1½ tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add the thinly sliced bell peppers and onion and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, steak, salt, and pepper, and cook 1 minute more, stirring constantly.
- Fill the pepper halves with the steak/pepper/onion mixture.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top, and bake until the cheese is melted, about 8 minutes.
Paleo-Friendly: Omit the cheese.
Make-Ahead: Complete Steps 1 through 3, and store covered in the fridge for up to 2 days before sprinkling the cheese on top (if using) and baking.