If you have leftover steak on hand, whip up this easy, flavorful Leftover Steak Soup Recipe in just 30 minutes! With just 3g net carbs per serving it’s naturally low carb and keto, and with sweet paprika, thyme, and caraway seeds it’s reminiscent of Gulaschsuppe, which is a classic dish in Germany and Hungary.
I like to grill steak about once a week year-round. I use an outdoor grill in the warmer months, and a grill pan when it’s chilly outside.
It’s so easy to throw a couple steaks on the grill (or grill pan) along with some sliced zucchini and corn on the cob, or whatever vegetables you have on hand! Not only is it a healthy meal, but another bonus is that there are minimal dishes to clean.
Sometimes I’ll even throw on an extra steak just for the leftovers. A juicy steak that’s hot off the grill is amazing (and still my favorite way to eat steak!), but you’d be surprised at how delicious and versatile leftover steak is.
It goes way beyond just steak and eggs for breakfast!
What to Make with Leftover Steak
The sky is the limit with what you can make with leftover steak! Here are a few simple ideas:
- Steak fajitas, or use lettuce leaves as the wraps for the low-carb version
- Steak quesadillas
- Philly cheesesteak sandwiches
- Beef and broccoli with rice
- Cheesy steak omelet
- Steak and potato breakfast hash topped with fried eggs
- And of course this Leftover Steak Soup Recipe!
The Inspiration for This Steak Soup
This Leftover Steak Soup Recipe is inspired by the flavors in a classic German Gulaschsuppe. Onion and garlic provide the base flavor, and then spices like sweet paprika, caraway seeds, and a touch of cayenne pepper add depth. Herbs like thyme and marjoram add complexity. And a good beef stock adds richness.
It’s a beautiful, aromatic and flavorful soup that typically cooks for over an hour. This soup featuring leftovers cooks up in a fraction of the time, making it perfect for a weeknight dinner.
Easy Meal Idea – Leftover Steak Soup Recipe
The beauty of this recipe is that it utilizes leftover steak, as well as leftover onions and mushrooms. Because everything is precooked, it comes together quickly!
Pro Tip: Next time you grill steak, throw an extra one on the grill along with some onion and mushrooms so you can make this soup.
And just because it’s easy to make doesn’t mean this soup is lacking in flavor. It starts with garlic cooked in a little butter, which adds savory richness. Use your favorite beef stock or broth, and then just a few herbs and spices (that are probably already in your pantry) are all you need.
Serve this soup as-is or along with a salad or some crusty bread. It’s sure to be a new favorite!
How to Freeze Soup in Individual Portions for Meal Prep
Steak is one of those meals that’s perfect if you’re trying to plan ahead and meal prep and don’t have a lot of time to devote to grocery shopping and cooking.
- Night 1: Grilled Steak
- Night 2: Leftover Steak Soup
- Night 3: Steak and Eggs Breakfast for Dinner
With minimal effort, three nights of dinners are handled!
Another way to make this Leftover Steak Soup work for you in terms of meal prep is to freeze it in individual portions so you can thaw one serving at a time. I like to use 1-cup glass containers from Amazon, which are dishwasher, oven, freezer, and microwave-safe. It’s so easy to grab one out of the freezer the night before, and then just pop it into the microwave for lunch!
Pro Tip: When you freeze leftovers, remember to label the container with the contents and date.
How to Reheat Frozen Soup
This soup is very easy to reheat.
If you remember to pull it out of the freezer to thaw the night before, you can reheat the thawed soup in the microwave or on the stovetop.
But no worries if you forgot to thaw it overnight! You can defrost this soup in the microwave. Or remove the soup from it’s container, put it in a saucepan, cover the pan, and cook it gently over low heat to thaw it.
More Easy Soup Recipes:
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
- Easy Miso Chicken Soup
- Loaded Leftover Mashed Potato Soup
- Easy Chicken Ramen
- Pumpkin Soup Recipe for One
- Easy Low Carb Creamy Sausage Soup
Did you make this recipe? Please rate it and leave a comment below because I love hearing from you! You can also tag @anediblemosaic on social media. To stay up-to-date FOLLOW ME on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Xoxo, Faith
Leftover Steak Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 cup cooked steak chopped into small bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup cooked chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 cup cooked chopped onion chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons sour cream for garnish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley for garnish
- Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Once melted, add the garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the beef stock, Worcestershire, sweet paprika, thyme, salt, black pepper, caraway seeds, steak, mushrooms, and onion.
- Turn the heat up and bring to a boil, and then cover the saucepan, turn the heat down to simmer, and cook 10 minutes.
- Serve the soup topped with sour cream and parsley.
- Net Carbs: 3g per serving
- Paleo Version: Use avocado oil or ghee instead of butter. Omit the sour cream garnish.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links to products I believe in, which means that even though it doesn’t cost you anything extra, I will receive a small amount of money from the sale of these items. Thank you for helping to support An Edible Mosaic!
Leave a Reply