Smoked Gouda and sharp Cheddar, roasted red bell pepper, and a variety of other vegetables, seasonings, and chicken stock come together in this rich and velvety Roasted Red Pepper Smoked Gouda Soup recipe.
So, let’s talk cheese.
Everyone likes cheese, right? Ok, I guess not everyone.
But in my whole life I’ve only come across three people who don’t like cheese. And each of them has a caveat as to when they will eat it.
The first only eats “raw” cheese, meaning unmelted.
The second only enjoys it with something else, such as in a sandwich or casserole.
The third, and perhaps strangest yet, will only touch mozzarella, and only if it’s melted on top of pizza. She doesn’t even like the pizza itself per se, just the melted cheese/sauce mixture on top. The sad sauce-stained crust is always left abandoned and unwanted on her plate (that’s what my mom always refers to as “stripped” pizza).
Not me though; I have yet to come across a cheese I didn’t like.
Roasted Red Pepper Smoked Gouda Soup Recipe
This rich and velvety-textured soup features two flavor-packed cheeses, smoked Gouda and sharp Cheddar. And it has few other flavors to enhance the flavor of the cheese, like Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, and smoked paprika.
Don’t skip the touch of lemon in this recipe! Similar to fondue, a touch of acid in the form of lemon juice in this recipe (which is usually in the form of wine or beer in fondue), helps prevent the cheese from becoming stringy and from curdling.
Pro Tip: For this recipe, instead of 2 tablespoons lemon juice, you can deglaze the pan with 1/4 cup dry white wine if desired.
You might not realize it by looking at the end result, but this soup has a decent amount of vegetables in it as well. Onion, celery, carrot, and roasted red pepper add flavor and nutrition.
More Cheesy Soup Recipes to Try:
- Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Beer Cheese Soup
- Keto Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
- Easy Cheesy Loaded Potato Soup
- Buffalo Chicken Soup
Did you make this recipe? Please rate it and leave a comment below because I love hearing from you! You can also tag @anediblemosaic on social media. To stay up-to-date FOLLOW ME on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Xoxo, Faith
Roasted Red Pepper Smoked Gouda Soup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 large stalks celery chopped
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup chopped roasted red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable stock warmed (or chicken stock)
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 6 ounces smoked Gouda shredded
- 2 ounces sharp Cheddar shredded
- Fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Melt the butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot, salt, and pepper, and cook until the vegetables are starting to soften and brown, about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and roasted red bell pepper, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the lemon juice and scrape up any brown bits from the bottom. Cook until the lemon juice is evaporated, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour and cook 1 minute, whisking constantly.
- Whisk in the warm stock, Worcestershire, mustard powder, and paprika.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are completely tender, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and carefully puree the soup in batches in a blender or using an immersion blender.
- Transfer the soup back to the pot and bring to a simmer again. Turn heat off and add the cheese, stirring until completely melted.
- Ladle the soup into serving bowls and garnish with fresh parsley if desired.
- Net Carbs: 10g per serving
- Instead of 2 tablespoons lemon juice, you can deglaze the pan with 1/4 cup dry white wine if desired.
- To keep this soup vegetarian, use a vegan brand of Worcestershire sauce.
This post was first published on An Edible Mosaic on April 22, 2013. It was updated with more information and photos on January 8, 2021.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links to products I believe in, which means that even though it doesn’t cost you anything extra, I will receive a small amount of money from the sale of these items. Thank you for helping to support An Edible Mosaic!
Stacey Christie says
Just made this soup today.
I was looking for something unique and delicious.
This one hits the mark!
So cheesy, smoky and sooooooo good!
I’m entering this bad boy into a soup contest in a few weeks.
Thank you so much for this recipe 💕
Nutmeg Nanny says
Oh man! I could totally go for a bowl of that soup. I’m a huge soup fan. Even in the summer :)
great flavors in this bisque, faith! i’m always astounded when someone tells me he doesn’t like cheese. some cheeses, okay, i can understand that, but all cheeses? i can’t believe it.
Well, I do not fall in any of the three categories above my friend. I am a huge cheese lover and I enjoy them cooked or raw. Of course I have my preferences, likes and dislikes but generally speaking I love cheese. This soup especially with the smoked paprika is something I would love to try!
[email protected] says
Count me as a cheese lover. And, Faith in reading your recipe, you’ve reminded me to get out the Worcestershire sauce. A touch of that can do so much. Your soup is very appetizing.
Carol | a cup of mascarpone says
We are having a very cool, gray day here in Virginia today, and this soup would just hit the spot! Thanks for sharing another wonderful soup, Faith!
[email protected] says
Yum, just in time for soup here
Who doesn’t love cheese. Whaaaa?
ashley - baker by nature says
Girl you know I LOVE cheese, so this soup is just jumping out to me!
Urban Wife says
Smoked gouda! Be still my cheese-loving heart. I don’t care if it’s already warming up outside, I’m putting it on the menu for next week. Thanks for sharing!
Laura (Tutti Dolci) says
I love smoked gouda, what a fabulous addition to a soup!
One of my sisters isn’t fond of cheese at all. I never understood it, even as a kid. Me, I love it and I’d eat this soup year round. Love the smoked gouda and cheddar together here. :)
Cheese is one of the only reasons I couldn’t become a vegan ;). I don’t eat a lot of it, but I sure do like it!! This sounds delicious.
A scrumptious and marvelously smoky bisque!