By now I’m sure most of you have heard of banana soft serve. (If not, you will absolutely die when you try it.)
Also called “yonanas”, banana soft serve is frozen banana blended with whatever flavorings (like vanilla extract, cocoa powder, espresso powder, etc.) or add-ins (like toasted almonds, coconut, chocolate chips, etc.) you like. The best part is that it has the same creamy texture as soft serve ice cream. (The first time I ever saw banana soft serve was on Gena’s brilliant blog, Choosing Raw.)
As you can imagine, this delicious treat is incredibly versatile and completely perfect for when you want ice cream but don’t want ice cream. (Ladies, you know what I mean.)
Even without anything added, banana soft serve is fantastic with its natural sweetness and super creamy consistency. This version with avocado combines that that super creamy consistency with a bit of added richness for an even more satiating treat.
The thing to remember about any kind of banana soft serve is to make it right before you want to eat it…it does not keep well, even in the freezer! But it is to die for when it’s first blended.
Spinach also adds vitamins, minerals, and fiber to this recipe, but truth be told, I used it mainly for natural green coloring. (Don’t worry, you can’t taste it!) I could see occasional tiny little flecks of green in my soft serve (along with some small specks of chocolate), which didn’t bother me at all; however, if it’s not your thing and you don’t mind your soft serve being a much lighter shade of green, just omit the spinach and the 2 tablespoons of water.
A big thank-you to Brandy and Katie for organizing this event, and another thank-you to KitchenAid and King Arthur Flour, the sponsors of today’s fabulous giveaway! (Take a look at the giveaway widget below for more giveaway details.)
Here are the other participating bloggers’ frozen treat posts today:
- 1/4 cup (1/4 oz/7 g) baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 medium avocado, pitted and skin removed
- 1 packet (about 1/2 teaspoon powdered stevia) stevia (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure mint extract (adjust to taste)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 very large banana, peeled, chopped into 8 pieces, and frozen
- 3 tablespoons chopped good-quality dark chocolate (see Note)
- Add the baby spinach and water to a food processor and pulse a few times.
- Add the avocado, stevia, vanilla extract, mint extract, and salt and process until nearly smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add the frozen banana and pulse a few times to break it up a bit, and then process until completely smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add the chocolate chips and pulse 3 times.
- Serve immediately.
Chocolate: To keep this paleo and vegan, use dairy-free, stevia-sweetened dark chocolate.