I’m a big fan of breakfast for any meal of the day, but I’m weird about my eggs in the morning. I will eat any kind of egg except one with a runny yolk for breakfast, but as far as runny yolks go, all bets are off for lunch or dinner. So weird.
(Any other quirky breakfast eaters out there?)
The blueberry and lemon combo says breakfast to me though. (Who doesn’t love a blueberry lemon muffin, right?) And I have to say, I’m all for eating whatever leftover veggies are in my fridge as my first meal of the day, so why not salad?
Enter my Arugala Breakfast Salad with Stovetop Maple Nut Brittle and Blueberry Lemon Dressing.
This salad is definitely a powerhouse way to begin your day. Antioxidant-rich and energizing, there will be no mid-morning slump if you start your morning off with nutrient-dense foods like Earthbound Farm Organic Baby Arugala, blueberries, and nuts. As a total bonus, I love the fact that Earthbound Farm’s greens are conveniently triple-washed and ready to hit my salad bowl; this completely nullifies the excuse that I don’t have time to whip up a salad for any meal of the day.
For those of you who think you don’t like arugala, I would encourage you to give it a try in this salad. Arugala’s peppery tang is perfectly balanced by blueberries and a hint of maple, and the slight nuttiness of arugala is echoed in the toasted nut brittle. Try this and you might just realize that you love all things arugala.
The only tip I have for you regarding this recipe is to make extra of the Stovetop Maple Nut Brittle because you will want more of it for munching on later. And because this salad serves two people, so will whoever the other serving is for. (Side Note: If you make extra of it, the Stovetop Maple Nut Brittle will keep for up to five days stored in an airtight container at room temperature.)
Ok, I lied (a little) because I actually do have one other tip for you. If you want to take the Blueberry Lemon Dressing to the next level, add a pinch or two of ground cinnamon. It really wakes up the flavors!
So no excuses for those of you trying to eat more salad…grab some greens and make this for breakfast!
- ¼ cup whole almonds
- ¼ cup whole cashews
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 pinch sea salt
- ½ cup fresh blueberries, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (more or less depending how tart your berries are)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 to 6 cups Earthbound Farm Organic Baby Arugala
- 1 to 2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- ½ cup fresh blueberries, rinsed
- For the brittle, add all ingredients to a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Cook until the maple syrup is evaporated and the nuts are light golden brown, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Spread the nuts out on a parchment-lined plate to cool, about 10 to 15 minutes. (They will harden as they cool.)
- For the dressing, add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- To serve, divide the arugala between 2 plates or bowls. Top each with ½ to 1 whole avocado, ¼ cup fresh blueberries, and half the cooled nut brittle. Drizzle the dressing on top and serve immediately.
Disclosure: I received the Earthbound Farm product that I used in this recipe for free, and I also received compensation for this post. I am happy for the opportunity to share brands that I believe in with my readers, and I hope you enjoy my recipe. As always, opinions stated are my own.