Buffalo Chicken Dip is a classic (and easy!) appetizer recipe that features Buffalo chicken in the form of a flavor-packed, creamy, cheesy, zippy dip. And if you use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken it takes just 30 minutes to whip up from start-to-finish!
I was late to the game when it comes to Buffalo Chicken Dip. It’s been a thing for quite a while now, but I only just had this dip within the last three years.
I’ve been missing out! Not only is it delicious, but it’s very easy to make and it’s a real crowd-pleasing appetizer.
This dip is the perfect thing to whip on short notice for a holiday party, football party, or really anytime you need an easy appetizer that’ll be a hit with everyone.
Buffalo Chicken Dip Origin
The origin of Buffalo chicken wings is pinpointed to Teressa Bellissimo, proprietor of the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York in 1964.
There are different variations of the story from Teressa’s husband Frank and their son Dominic. You can read more about it in A Brief History of the Chicken Wing by Joseph Stromberg on Smithsonian Magazine.
However, the origin of Buffalo Chicken Dip is unknown. All I know is that it is some kind of culinary masterpiece, lol!
Easy Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
Classic Buffalo Chicken Dip contains Ranch dressing, cream cheese, hot sauce, cooked chicken, and cheese. There is some debate as to whether it’s blue cheese or another type of cheese. But Frank’s RedHot is the traditional hot sauce choice for anything involving Buffalo Chicken!
In my recipe I used a combination of sour cream and a few spices instead of Ranch dressing to keep this dip completely homemade.
Pro Tip: If you prefer to use Ranch dressing in this recipe, omit the sour cream, garlic powder, onion powder, and dried dill and use 1 cup Ranch instead.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
Measure out the ingredients to make this dip.
Beat or whisk together the cream cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, and seasonings.
The mixture will be thick and creamy.
Stir in the shredded chicken, shredded cheese, and scallion.
Spread the dip into an oven-safe pan.
Sprinkle more cheese on top.
Bake until it’s warm and bubbling. Top with a little more scallion. Serve!
How to Cook Chicken
You can use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken to make this dip. But if you prefer, you can also easily bake chicken to make it.
You will need 2 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts.
Place the breasts in an oven-safe baking dish. Drizzle a little olive oil on top, and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
Bake in an oven preheated to 350F until the chicken is fully cooked (there should be no pink in the center and the internal temperature should be 165F), about 40 minutes to 1 hour.
Let the chicken cool, and then shred it to make this dip!
How Long Does Buffalo Chicken Dip Last?
Store Buffalo Chicken Dip wrapped in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Is Buffalo Chicken Dip Spicy?
The great thing about making homemade dip is that you can adjust the spice level to taste!
With 1/2 cup of Frank’s RedHot, this dip is about a “medium” spice level. With 2/3 cup Frank’s RedHot this dip has about a “medium-hot” spice level.
Feel free to adjust the amount of hot sauce up or down to suit your tastes! And if you’re using hot sauce other than Frank’s, you may want to use less because Frank’s has less spicy heat and more flavor than other hot sauces.
What do You Eat with Buffalo Chicken Dip?
- Low Carb Crackers
- Sliced Baguette
- Tortilla Chips
- Keto Tortilla Chips
- Carrot sticks, celery sticks, sliced bell peppers
- Or use 2 flour tortillas to make a Buffalo Chicken Quesadilla!
More Cheesy Dip Recipes to Make:
Did you make this recipe? Please rate it and leave a comment below because I love hearing from you! You can also tag @anediblemosaic on social media. To stay up-to-date FOLLOW ME on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Xoxo, Faith
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup Frank’s RedHot sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 2 scallions green and white parts, thinly sliced, divided
- 8 ounces cheddar shredded, divided (about 2 cups shredded)
- 4 ounces mozzarella shredded, divided (about 1 cup shredded)
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Beat or whisk together the cream cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, dill, and black pepper in a large bowl.
- Stir in the shredded chicken, half the scallion, 3/4 of the shredded cheddar, and 3/4 of the shredded mozzarella.
- Spread the mixture into a 2-quart baking dish or a 9-inch pie plate. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar and mozzarella on top.
- Bake until the dip is warm throughout, about 20 minutes. If desired, broil a couple minutes to brown the cheese in spots.
- Sprinkle on the remaining scallion.
- Net Carbs: 1g per serving
- The nutrition information for this recipe was calculated for the dip only (without the serving suggestion ideas).
- If you prefer, you can omit the sour cream, garlic powder, onion powder, and dried dill and instead add 1 cup Ranch dressing.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links to products I believe in, which means that even though it doesn’t cost you anything extra, I will receive a small amount of money from the sale of these items. Thank you for helping to support An Edible Mosaic!