Gluten and lactose-free Cheesy Scalloped Cabbage Casserole is an all-star comfort food side dish that pairs well with any number of things!
When Mike and I were first married, I didn’t have a huge repertoire of recipes up my sleeve. I was still in law school at the time, and batch-cooking freezer-friendly meals (like spaghetti, beef stew, turkey chili, and chicken stir-fry) on weekends was my way of life. I was determined to cook homemade dinners for us though.
One of the few things I actually knew how to make (because I had watched my mother make it so many times) was scalloped potatoes; I took that dish and ran with it. Scalloped potatoes showed up at so many of the first meals I made for my hubby and I, mainly because it was something that I knew how to make that he actually liked. (Me being from Buffalo and my hubby being from Damascus, we have very different food backgrounds and tastes in food, so finding some kind of common ground was a challenge!)
I can’t even remember the last time I made scalloped potatoes, probably because I made them so much that Mike and I got sick of them. I love comforting casseroles in general though, and potatoes aren’t the only vegetable that work well. Here cabbage is the star of the show, accentuated with onion and garlic in a creamy sauce, making for an all-star comfort food side dish that pairs well with any number of things.
Usually to make a scalloped dish, I would have made a quick roux of butter and flour, and then added milk to make Béchamel; a little white cheddar or gruyere may have found its way into the sauce, turning it into a cheesy Mornay. Not so in this simplified version, which is both gluten and lactose-free. This recipe uses GO VEGGIE Vegan Classic Plain Cream Cheese for creamy texture and GO VEGGIE Lactose Free Cheddar Shreds for cheesy flavor. It’s a fun spin on a classic favorite, and if you’re cutting back on or are sensitive to gluten and/or lactose, this will probably become one of your favorite casseroles.
What was your go-to dish when you first started cooking?
- 1½ tablespoons avocado oil (or light olive oil), plus more to grease the dish
- 1 lb (450 g) Savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup (180 ml) low-sodium vegetable stock
- ½ cup GO VEGGIE Vegan Classic Plain Cream Cheese, at room temperature
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ (7 oz/198 g) GO VEGGIE Lactose Free Cheddar Shreds
- Preheat the oven to 400F; lightly brush the inside of a 1.5-quart casserole dish with oil.
- Add the oil to a medium saucepan over medium-low heat; once hot, add the cabbage and onion and cook (covered) until the vegetables are softened but not browned, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in the vegetable stock, cream cheese, salt, pepper, and half of the cheddar shreds, stirring until smooth. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish and top with the remaining half of the cheddar shreds.
- Cover the dish and bake until the casserole is bubbling throughout, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Disclosure: I received the GO Veggie! products that I used in this recipe for free, and I also received compensation for this post. I am happy for the opportunity to share brands that I believe in with my readers, and I hope you enjoy my recipe. As always, opinions stated are my own.