This Chocolate Peanut Butter Chia Pudding tastes like healthy peanut butter pie, but is nourishing enough to enjoy for breakfast.
I still remember the first time I had peanut butter pie; truthfully, it was by no means healthy peanut butter pie! This wasn’t a pie I grew up with; my mom was an apple and pumpkin pie maker, so I was an adult the first time I had it. I was in college at the time, and it was at a chain diner, I think Perkins, if I’m not mistaken, or maybe it was Denny’s. I remember thinking, Oh wow, that’s what I’ve been missing all this time?! Let’s just say it was pretty dang good, lol.
Of course, there wasn’t much that was healthy about that version of peanut butter pie. Actually, if I’m being honest, I’m pretty sure there wasn’t anything healthy about it at all; it was full of highly processed ingredients like white flour and processed low-quality fats, not to mention of course it was laden with sugar.
It doesn’t have to be that way though. There’s no rule saying that just because something tastes good it has to be junk food! Think of this Chocolate Peanut Butter Chia Pudding as a healthy peanut butter pie, because that’s exactly what it tastes like.
Peanut Butter Nutrition and Peanut Butter Health Benefits
Peanut Butter Nutrition
17g total fat
Peanut Butter Health Benefits
Peanut butter has several health benefits. It’s a good source of protein, and is high in healthy fats and low in carbs. Additionally, peanut butter packs vitamins and minerals, such as potassium, magnesium, copper, manganese, vitamin E, and B vitamins. (Read more about the health benefits of peanut butter on Health Line and Prevention.)
Peanut Butter Weight Loss
Peanut butter sometimes gets a bad rap for being fattening; however, it’s nutrient-dense and rich in protein, fat, and fiber and should keep you satisfied for quite a while. Remember that in order to lose weight, your calories in must be less than your calories out. If you’re trying to lose weight, be mindful of your portion size. Look at the packaging of the brand of peanut butter you purchase, but one serving of peanut butter is usually 2 tablespoons.
Chia Seeds Nutrition and Chia Seeds Health Benefits
Chia seeds are notorious for being a superfood, and for good reason! Originating from Central and South America, it’s said that ancient civilizations like the Aztecs and Mayans prized chia seeds as a source of long-lasting energy.
Chia Seeds Nutrition
7g total fat
Chia Seeds Health Benefits
Chia seeds are high in fiber, rich in omega-3 fatty acids, a good source of protein, and contain vitamins and minerals. To name just a few of their health benefits, chia seeds are rich in antioxidants, good for digestive health, help heart health, and can help prevent metabolic disorders that are factors in the development of diabetes. (Read more about the health benefits of chia seeds on Dr. Axe, Huffington Post, and Health Line.
More Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Recipes:
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Tiramisu from Healthy Sweet Eats
- Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies from The Real Food Dieticians
- Healthier Peanut Butter Balls from Detoxinista
- Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups from An Edible Mosaic
Chocolate Peanut Butter Chia Pudding (Tastes Like Healthy Peanut Butter Pie!)
Peanut Butter Topping:
- 2 tablespoons chopped dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons chopped lightly salted peanuts
- For the pudding, whisk together all ingredients in a bowl. Cover and transfer to the fridge to sit overnight and turn into pudding (give it a stir every so often if you think of it).
- For the peanut butter topping, beat together the cream cheese, peanut butter, Swerve Confectioners, liquid stevia, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Fold in the whipped cream.
- To serve, layer the pudding and peanut butter topping in individual glasses.
- Store covered in the fridge for up to 5 days, and only add the toppings right before serving.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links to products I believe in, which means that even though it doesn’t cost you anything extra, I will receive a small amount of money from the sale of these items. Thank you for helping to support An Edible Mosaic!