This decadent-tasting Healthy Cherry Garcia Recipe puts summer cherries to perfect use when you want a nourishing sweet treat. The best part is, no ice cream maker required!
I’ve always been a chocolate girl when it comes to dessert. In fact, I’d even go so far as to say that my usual motto is that if a sweet treat doesn’t have chocolate, it just isn’t worth it.
But I have branched out a little, realizing the deliciousness in things like a creamy coconut custard, butter toffee shortbread cookies, and classic flavor combinations like peanut butter and jelly made into crumble bars.
This Healthy Cherry Garcia Recipe has just enough chocolate to hold my interest, without it overwhelming the recipe.
Because let’s face it, cherries also deserve a moment in the spotlight! Their season is so short-lived it warrants a celebration in the form of anything and everything cherry-flavored, including a healthy version of ice cream!
What is in Cherry Garcia Ice Cream?
Cherry Garcia is a flavor of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream. It is cherry ice cream with cherries and fudge flakes.
According to Ben & Jerry’s, this ice cream originated as a fan-suggested flavor, and is a tribute to Grateful Dead musician Jerry Garcia.
Ben & Jerry’s also makes a low-fat frozen yogurt version of this flavor.
Healthy Homemade Cherry Garcia Ice Cream
This Healthy Cherry Garcia Recipe uses frozen cherries as the base with a touch of cream cheese and heavy cream.
If you prefer to cut the calories and fat a bit you could omit the cream cheese and heavy cream, and instead use 1/4 cup of Greek yogurt.
And a little dark chocolate pairs perfectly with the flavor of cherry!
According to the USDA National Nutrient Database, 1 cup of pitted cherries has the following nutrition information:
- 1.63g protein
- .31g total fat
- 24.66g total carbohydrates
- 3.2g fiber
Health Benefits of Cherries
Cherries are rich in antioxidants that help fight free radicals in the body, and help to prevent cancer and heart disease. Additionally, the purple and blue pigments in cherries, called anthocyanins, help reduce pain related to inflammation.
Cherries are also a good source of potassium, which helps the body eliminate excess sodium, thus helping to lower blood pressure.
Low Carb Chocolate
Just a little bit of chocolate adds so much flavor to this recipe!
There are a few good options available when you’re looking for delicious low carb chocolate:
- Sugar Free Chocolate: I like Lily’s and Chocoperfection.
- Dark Chocolate: I usually opt for 85% dark or darker. A few of my favorites include Lindt, Pascha, and Green & Black’s.
- Homemade Low Carb Chocolate: If you want to make your own version of low carb chocolate at home, it’s even better because you get to control the quality of ingredients that go into it, as well as the sweetness level. Check out Lara’s Keto Chocolate Bar Recipe over on Lara Clevenger!
More Cherry Dessert Recipes:
- Paleo Cherry Chocolate Chip Coffee Popsicles from An Edible Mosaic
- Cherry Clafoutis from Home Cooking Adventure
- Cherry Cookies from Can’t Stay Out of the Kitchen
- Old Fashioned Cherry Crisp from Kevin is Cooking
- Cherry Cobbler Cheesecake Bars from Healthy Sweet Eats
Did you make this recipe? Please rate it and leave a comment below because I love hearing from you! You can also tag @anediblemosaic on social media. To stay up-to-date FOLLOW ME on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Xoxo, Faith
Healthy Cherry Garcia Ice Cream Recipe (No Ice Cream Maker)
- Add all ingredients except the chocolate to a high-speed blender and process until smooth and creamy, tamping down the ingredients as necessary. Stir in the chopped chocolate.
- Serve immediately, garnished with a cherry.
- Net Carbs: 6.5g per serving (1/2 of recipe)
- To cut the calories and fat a bit you can omit the cream cheese and heavy cream, and instead use 1/4 cup of Greek yogurt.
This post was first published on An Edible Mosaic on August 27, 2018. I updated it with more information on June 26, 2020.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links to products I believe in, which means that even though it doesn’t cost you anything extra, I will receive a small amount of money from the sale of these items. Thank you for helping to support An Edible Mosaic!