RW Garcia provided me with product for the purpose of this post, as well as compensation for my time. As always, all opinions expressed in this post are my own.
Warm Cheesy Garlic and Kale Dip is rich and creamy and loaded with vegetables! Watch it disappear fast off any buffet table.
You know a recipe is a success when it’s the first to disappear off the buffet table (twice) at a party. When kids are coming up to you asking when there’s be more of that “cheesy green dip”, and grownups are checking the fridge to see if there’s enough kale to whip up a another batch mid-party, the dish is for sure a keeper. And if the recipe happens to be full of veggies, it’s even more of a winner!
This kale-based dip was inspired by spinach artichoke dip, but with a couple minor improvements that make all the difference in the world. I’ll be honest, I like the idea of spinach artichoke dip much more than I actually enjoy eating it; I’ve never really come across a version that blew my mind. There are a few things about spinach artichoke dip that just don’t jive with me: 1) the big pieces of artichoke, 2) the slimy factor that the spinach takes on, and 3) the mayo in the recipe (I’m just not a fan of mayo in heated recipes).
I find that kale doesn’t really take on the slimy quality that spinach does, so that was an easy swap for me to make in this recipe. I left out the artichoke and used onion and a good amount of garlic (which makes the dip). And you won’t find any mayo here! Cream cheese lends creamy texture, and mozzarella and Parmesan add flavor.
I served this dip along with RW Garcia 3 Seed Kale Crackers, which are gluten-free and non-GMO Project Verified (like all their products!). And I love their commitment to sustainability; from their website: “Not only do we want to make the world’s best and healthiest snacks, we also want to make the world a little better place to snack in.” Follow RW Garcia on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
These seeded kale crackers are delicious with an almost-toasted seedy and slightly earthy flavor, and they pair exceptionally well with this Warm Cheesy Garlic and Kale Dip! I also enjoy their 3 Seed Sweet Potato Crackers with homemade guacamole, and I like their 3 Seed Harvest Crackers with everything (topped with cheese, crushed up in a salad, or dipped in soup).
What’s your favorite way to top crackers?
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 oz (227 g) kale, de-stemmed and finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 large cloves garlic, crushed
- ¾ cup (180 ml) water
- ¼ teaspoon each salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 oz (227 g) cream cheese
- 3 oz/85 g (about ¾ cup shredded) shredded mozzarella, divided
- 1 tablespoon freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (6.5 oz) box RW Garcia 3 Seed Kale Crackers, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the kale, onion, garlic, water, salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Cover the skillet and cook until the vegetables are softened and the liquid is evaporated, about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cream cheese and turn the heat down to medium-low; stir until the cream cheese is fully incorporated, and then stir in ½ cup mozzarella.
- Transfer the mixture to a 1-quart gratin dish and sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup shredded mozzarella and the Parmesan on top.
- Broil until the cheese on top is melted and starting to brown.
- Serve the dip warm with the crackers for dipping.