This Apple Crumb Cake Recipe is a lovely aromatic spice cake with shredded apples, roasted pears, and crumbly streusel topping.
Before I tell you about this cake, I want to give a huge, heartfelt thank-you to all of you who commented on my last post! Your kind thoughts and words of encouragement meant the world to me. Thank you for your support and for reading my blog! xoxo, Faith
And now for the cake! I have found my ultimate autumn cake. Which, oddly enough, does not contain pumpkin, lol.
And if you’re a fan of New York-style crumb cake (you know, the coffee cake with the mile-high layer of streusel on top), this will likely be one of your favorites as well!
Apple Crumb Cake Recipe
In this cake, shredded apple is stirred into a spiced batter. Roasted pears form the middle layer, and the whole thing is topped with streusel.
A little bit of crème anglaise poured on top would be divine, but that really is gilding the lily.
Now, I’m not saying this is a healthy cake or anything because it has its fair share of butter and sugar. However, it does have whole wheat flour, a pound of apples, and four whole pears, which has to count for something, right?
Make this Apple Crumb Cake Recipe for a special occasion. Or if the occasion you’re making it for is just a Wednesday night, save a slice for yourself and pack the rest up to send to work with your hubby, lol.
How to Store Apple Crumb Cake
Wrap the cake with plastic wrap and store it at room temperature for up to 3 days.
After that, move the cake to the fridge for up to 2 days longer.
If you still have some of this Apple Crumb Cake left after that, you can wrap it first in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil for up to 6 months in the freezer.
More Fall Cakes to Try:
- Caramel Apple Cake
- Red Velvet Marshmallow Spiderweb Cake
- Pumpkin New York Style Crumb Cake
- Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Did you make this recipe? Please rate it and leave a comment below because I love hearing from you! You can also tag @anediblemosaic on social media. To stay up-to-date FOLLOW ME on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Xoxo, Faith
Apple Crumb Cake Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar lightly packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pound apples peeled, cored, and shredded
- 4 roasted pears diced (see Note)
For the Crumble Topping:
- Use a fork to cut together all ingredients for crumble topping in a large bowl (the mixture will look like large crumbs); set aside.
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F; butter and flour a 9-inch springform pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugars; then beat in the eggs until light and fluffy. Beat in the milk and vanilla. Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the wet, then fold in the shredded apple, being careful not to over-mix.
- Spread 2/3 of the batter in an even layer in the bottom of the prepared pan. Add the pears and spread in an even layer, leaving a rim along the outside of about 1/4 inch. Spread the remaining 1/3 of the batter evenly on the top of the pears. Sprinkle on the crumble topping.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 to 60 minutes. Cool completely, then dust with powdered sugar (if using) and serve.
- This is the recipe for roasted pears I use. You can substitute canned pears if you’re short on time.
This post was first published on An Edible Mosaic on October 19, 2011. I updated it with more information on May 20, 2020.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links to products I believe in, which means that even though it doesn’t cost you anything extra, I will receive a small amount of money from the sale of these items. Thank you for helping to support An Edible Mosaic!