Buffalo Chicken Burgers are rich and buttery, garlicky, and have a little kick of heat thanks to Frank’s RedHot! Spicy Blue Cheese Celery Slaw is the perfect topping to drive home the “buffalo” flavor profile.
I am of the mind that there is nothing better than a good burger. Which, despite my love affair with veggies, is probably the number one reason I could never be a vegetarian. And yes, I realize that there are some fabulous meat-free burgers out there!
Maybe the only thing better than a good burger is a plate of piping hot Buffalo wings done right.
Ok, so taking it one step further, the absolute only thing better than both of those things is a combination of the two. And that’s how this Buffalo Chicken Burger was born.
Buffalo Chicken Burgers
Because this burger is a play on Buffalo chicken wings, ground chicken was the obvious choice instead of beef, lamb, or turkey. Never fear though, this burger is both flavorful and moist, two things that can be a little more difficult with chicken burgers than beef burgers.
The secret to keeping these burgers moist is in the sautéed butter/onion mix.
However, Frank’s RedHot sauce (along with the butter that’s used to sauté the onion) is crucial for the perfect Buffalo wing sauce flavor. Also, one of the most crucial things is to not overcook the burgers! It’s somewhat of an art form to catch them when they’re just done before they have the chance to dry out. It’s well worth the effort though.
Spicy Blue Cheese Celery Slaw really helps drive home the Buffalo effect of this burger. The slaw is mostly celery (a must-have with Buffalo wings!) along with a touch of carrot, in a spicy blue cheese dressing. Yum.
This is fabulous party food or game day food, so the timing couldn’t be better. Make these burgers for the Super Bowl, and it won’t matter if your team wins, lol. (Kidding, of course! I’m from Buffalo, so I know how seriously die-hard fans take their football.)
Buffalo Chicken Burgers Keto
For the keto version of this recipe, simply omit the buns!
What Goes Good on Chicken Burgers?
The absolute BEST thing to top these garlic + hot sauce flavored burgers with is Spicy Blue Cheese Celery Slaw!
But they’d also be great with the following:
- Cheddar cheese + tomato slices
- Cream cheese + chives
- Muenster cheese + sliced onion
More Buffalo Recipes to Try:
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta Salad
- Super Easy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Buffalo Chicken French Bread Pizza
- Crispy Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Buffalo Chicken Soup
Did you make this recipe? Please rate it and leave a comment below because I love hearing from you! You can also tag @anediblemosaic on social media. To stay up-to-date FOLLOW ME on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Xoxo, Faith
Buffalo Chicken Burgers with Spicy Blue Cheese Celery Slaw
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 large cloves garlic crushed
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons Frank's RedHot sauce more or less to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Avocado oil for the pan
- 1 batch Spicy Blue Cheese Celery Slaw
- 4 buns split and toasted
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, but not brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds more, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.
- Add the onion/garlic mixture (with the butter that’s in the pan), ground chicken, hot sauce, salt, and black pepper to a large bowl. Combine the mixture with your hands being careful not to over-mix, and divide it into 4 portions. Shape each into a ball and flatten into a patty.
- Heat a nonskillet over medium heat and add enough avocado oil to lightly coat the bottom. Once the skillet is hot, add the burgers and cook until they’re cooked throughout, about 6 to 8 minutes per side, flipping once. (I like to cover the skillet with a lid to help contain the spattering oil, but leave the lid ajar so steam can escape, otherwise chicken has a tendency to be rubbery.)
- Place the burgers on the buns and serve with the slaw on top.
- Net Carbs: 2g per serving (1 burger)
- Nutrition information for this recipe was calculated for the burgers only; it doesn't include the slaw, buns, or any other toppings.
- For an authentic "buffalo" flavor, be sure to use Frank's Redhot sauce!
This post was first published on An Edible Mosaic on January 31, 2014. I updated it with more information on January 31, 2020.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links to products I believe in, which means that even though it doesn’t cost you anything extra, I will receive a small amount of money from the sale of these items. Thank you for helping to support An Edible Mosaic!
Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps says
You’re right there is NOTHING like a good burger, I’m a big fan of the chicken burger and this looks nothing short of spectacular!
Caroline Hurley says
I am so with you on this…if it weren’t for burgers, I would absolutely be vegetarian! Now this…this is going to happen soon in my house! We’ve got a thing for Buffalo sauce and I know these will make everyone happy! I love that celery slaw on top!
Laura (Tutti Dolci) says
These burgers look so good, love the blue cheese slaw!
I agree! Nothing like a good burger. I’m totally trying this. I love buffalo!!
Just. Shut the front do’! These burgers are perfect in every way! I’m convinced that a good fresh slaw should be on every burger and I’m dying to try your celery version. All things buffalo and blue cheese are a-okay by me! And yup, veggie burgers are grand, but nothing, NOTHING compares to a meat burger! Let’s make these on SB Sunday, mmkay? MMMKAY!
Wonderful burgers! The chicken patties must taste really great.