This Easy Low Carb Chile Relleno Dip (15 Minute Dip Recipe) is packed with flavor and gooey cheese! It tastes like Chile Rellenos, but in dip form so it’s quick and easy to make. It’s the perfect appetizer for any party or gathering. Just make sure you have enough on hand to whip up another batch because it goes fast!
It seems like no matter what time of year it is, there’s always a reason to get together. Work potlucks, family get-togethers, neighborhood gatherings, dinner parties, holidays, sports, etc. There’s always something going on!
And of course parties mean food! (Let’s be honest, the food is one of the best things about a party, lol.)
Popular Dips That Are Perfect for Parties
Party food is always fun food! Appetizers are abundant, such as platters of cheese/charcuterie/veggies/fruit, little sandwiches and sliders, food on sticks, savory bite-sized pastries, and a variety of chips and dip.
Serving up a ton of appetizers at a party is a great idea for a few different reasons:
- You can ask people to each bring their favorite appetizer to share.
- A lot of appetizers can be made a couple days in advance to reduce the amount of work on the day of a party.
- Everyone loves being able to sample a little bit of everything.
Who doesn’t love appetizers, right?!
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Crab Dip
- Bean Dip
- 7 Layer Dip
- French Onion Sour Cream Chip Dip (read the section below called “How to Make Easy Chip Dip” because I give a super easy recipe for this)
How to Make Homemade Dip
Dips are so easy to make at home! Along with chips or another vessel for scooping, dips are the perfect appetizer.
How to Make Easy Chip Dip
The easiest chip dip I know uses sour cream as the base, so I’ll talk about how to make sour cream dip. There are two basic recipes I grew up with: 1) ranch dip and 2) onion dip.
For ranch dip, mix 8 ounces of sour cream with a packet of Ranch mix. And for onion dip, mix 8 ounces of sour cream with a packet of onion soup mix.
It really doesn’t get any easier than that!
Also, homemade versions of these two basic dips are also pretty simple to whip up.
For easy homemade ranch chip dip, mix 8 ounces of sour cream with 2 tablespoons of fresh minced dill, 2 tablespoons of fresh minced flat-leaf parsley, 3/4 teaspoon onion powder, 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
For basic homemade onion dip, mix 8 ounces of sour cream with 1/2 cup caramelized (cooled) onions and a pinch of salt and pepper.
How to Make Cream Cheese Dip
Similar to making sour cream-based dip, making cream cheese dip is also quite easy. Cream cheese is quite thick, and so it’s usually mixed with something to thin it out a bit. There are a few different ingredients that you can mix along with cream cheese, such as sour cream, mayo, or heavy cream.
Cream cheese chips are served cold or hot, and you can flavor them just about any way you like (think along the lines of chilled crab dip, hot taco dip, chilled garden veggie dip, and hot Philly cheesesteak dip).
How to Keep Dips Low Carb
No matter what time of year it is, some of us want to try to keep our carb intake down. A lot of dips are low carb by nature of what’s in them, without having to tinker with the recipe to substitute low carb ingredients. For example, this Chile Relleno Dip is perfect if you’re watching your carbs!
But there are a couple things to watch out for if you’re going to a party where there’s sure to be dips.
First, steer clear of bean-based dips (like hummus) or dips with beans in it (like 7 Layer Dip).
Second, opt for low carb veggies (such as cucumber rounds, broccoli florets, cauliflower florets, or celery sticks) as dippers instead of things like bread, crackers, and chips.
Those two tips will help you easily minimize your carbs!
Easy Low Carb Chile Relleno Dip (15 Minute Dip Recipe)
This Chile Relleno Dip is a delicious appetizer for any party! Everyone loves a gooey, cheesy dip and this one delivers big in terms of flavor and cheese. With three kinds of cheese in here (cream cheese, white cheddar, and queso fresco), you know the cheese level is extreme (in the best way possible).
Rio Luna Large Chopped Green Chiles are the secret ingredient in this Chile Relleno Dip that packs a punch of flavor! It takes this dish to the next level with a touch of heat.
Rio Luna peppers are certified organic and non-GMO, and are grown by reputable growing partners who use key sustainability practices, such as drip irrigation, recycling initiatives, and crop rotation to cultivate the best possible peppers in the most responsible way.
These peppers are delicious, and an easy way to add a ton of flavor!
More Easy and Delicious Dip Recipes to Try:
- Pizza Dip from An Edible Mosaic
- White Bean Hummus from Pinch and Swirl
- Feta Cheese and Avocado Hummus Dip from Diethood
- Easy Restaurant Style Salsa Recipe from An Edible Moasic
Easy Low Carb Chile Relleno Dip (15 Minute Dip Recipe)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic crushed or minced
- 8 ounce cream cheese cubed and at room temperature
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon taco spice mix
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar divided
- 7 ounce can of Rio Luna Large Chopped Green Chiles liquid drained
- 2 tablespoons queso fresco or cotija cheese
- 1 scallion thinly sliced
- Heat the butter in a 6-inch broiler-safe skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the cream cheese, heavy cream, and taco spice, and turn the heat down to medium-low. Cook, whisking constantly, until the cream cheese is melted in.
- Whisk in 1 1/2 cups of shredded white cheddar a handful at a time, reserving 1/2 cup for topping.
- Once the cheddar is mixed in and the cheese mixture is smooth, turn off the heat, stir in the green chiles, and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar and the queso fresco on top.
- Broil until the cheese is melted and browned slightly.
- Sprinkle on the scallion and serve.
- Net Carbs: 3g per serving
- Regular tortilla chips are shown in these photos; however, to keep carbs down, try Low Carb Keto Crispy Homemade Tortilla Chips from The Keto Queens!
This post was first published on An Edible Mosaic on December 7, 2018. I updated it with more information on January 29, 2021.
Disclosure: Thank you Rio Luna Organic Peppers for sponsoring this post. I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own. This post contains Amazon affiliate links to products I believe in, which means that even though it doesn’t cost you anything extra, I will receive a small amount of money from the sale of these items. Thank you for helping to support An Edible Mosaic!
[…] Chile Relleno Dip […]
[…] Easy Low Carb Chile Relleno Dip – An Edible Mosaic […]