The only thing better than chocolate is chocolate that’s as nourishing as it is delicious; this paleo No-Cook Superfood Chocolate Fudge fits the bill perfectly. Keep it stashed away in your fridge for when your deepest chocolate cravings hit.
The term “superfood” is such a trendy buzz word that for me usually conjures up images of things like leafy greens, grapefruit, salmon, and olive oil. Maybe even dark chocolate. But truthfully, butter never crossed my mind. That is, until I met Heba of EatLuv and discovered her passion for top-quality clarified butter (ghee), which provides a whole host of health benefits.
EatLuv takes quality seriously and uses 100% grass-fed organic butter from non-GMO American family farms to make their clarified butter. What I love just as much is EatLuv’s integrity and commitment to quality is their dedication to the time-honored tradition of making clarified butter the way it’s been made for generations: butter is gently melted to evaporate the liquid and the milk solids settle to the bottom where they start to caramelize and are later strained out to render the purest butterfat (clarified butter).
To name just a few of the health benefits, EatLuv clarified butter is nutrient-dense and rich in fat-soluble Vitamins A, K2, D, and E, which are important for eye, bone, dental and brain health, and for building a strong immune system. It’s also a great source of conjugated linoelic acid (CLA), which lends antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. And it’s a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, with a balanced ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids. (You can read more about the health benefits of EatLuv clarified butter here.)
Clarified butter is lactose-free and very low in casein, making it a good choice for people who are lactose-intolerant. It’s even paleo-approved! I love that it’s shelf-stable and doesn’t need to be refrigerated; it sounds strange, but when I travel somewhere I have access to a kitchen, I usually bring a jar of EatLuv clarified butter with me so I don’t have to worry about sourcing a reputable brand where I go.
But really, as healthy as something is, if it’s not delicious you still probably won’t want to eat it, or at least you may not want to eat it very often, right? No worries because one of the best things about EatLuv’s clarified butter is how delicious it is. It has rich buttery flavor with a hint of nuttiness, and a mild buttery smell (it’s not overwhelmingly pungent, which can be off-putting, like some other clarified butter’s I’ve tried!). It works just as well for dessert as it does for high-heat cooking (did you know it has a smoke point of nearly 485F?), which is where this fudge comes in.
Sweetened with dates, this fudge boasts the added health benefits of coconut, walnuts, goji berries, and of course EatLuv clarified butter. It’s nutty and chocolatey with the perfect amount of sweetness, and it keeps well in the fridge for up to two weeks so it’s ready and waiting for you any time a chocolate craving strikes!
If you’re looking for more ways to use clarified butter, check out EatLuv’s recipe page for delicious inspiration. And head over to EatLuv’s shop where you can order their clarified butter (pro tip: I always go for the 32 oz because it’s the best bargain and there are virtually endless ways to use it!). Be sure to like them on Facebook and follow them on Instagram so you don’t miss anything!
- 1 cup (about 12 medium-large) Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup (45 g) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons EatLuv Clarified Butter (ghee)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup (40 g) unsweetened shredded coconut
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (60 g) walnuts, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup (28 g) goji berries, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs, for topping
- Line a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with 2 pieces of parchment paper so the paper hangs over all 4 sides and you can easily lift out the fudge later.
- Add the dates to a medium bowl and carefully pour the boiling water on top; let them soak until slightly softened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Add the dates, cocoa powder, ghee, vanilla, coconut, and salt to a high-speed blender and process until completely smooth, tamping down as needed.
- Pour the batter into a large bowl and stir in the walnuts and goji berries.
- Spread the batter out into the prepared pan, pressing it down and evening out the top with a metal spatula. Sprinkle the cacao nibs on top and gently press them into the fudge.
- Cover the pan and transfer it to the fridge until the fudge is set, about 2 to 4 hours.
- Cut the fudge into pieces and store it covered in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Disclosure: I received a sample of EatLuv clarified butter for free and since then have bought several jars. It was basically love at first taste for me because once I tried it there was no going back; EatLuv became my go-to clarified butter! I did NOT receive compensation for this post, and as always, opinions stated are my own.