If you’ve never made a homemade cheese ball, start with this Easy Ranch Cheese Ball Recipe. It’s a delicious low carb appetizer and always a crowd-pleaser! Instead of using a ranch packet, you’ll see how quick and easy it is to make this from scratch using a couple fresh herbs and pantry staples.
When it comes to easy crowd-pleasing appetizers, for most of us, a cheese and cracker tray is one of the first things that come to mind. And what better way to jazz up a cheese and cracker tray than with a cheese ball?!
Leave those store-bought cheese balls at the store because I’m going to show you just how quick and easy it is to make a homemade cheese ball like my Easy Ranch Cheese Ball! They taste way better, are easy to customize, and whip up with just 10 minutes of hands-on prep time.
And bonus, you know exactly what ingredients are going in, and you can avoid the stuff you don’t want to eat (such as sugar or excess salt).
How Do You Make a Ranch Cheese Ball?
You can use a ranch packet, but instead I opt to use fresh herbs and a few pantry staples to make my Easy Ranch Cheese Ball. This avoids the sugar and preservatives that are in ranch packets!
Ingredients to Make a Ranch Cheese Ball:
- Cream cheese
- White cheddar cheese
- Worcestershire sauce
- Dried dill
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Black pepper
Method to Make a Ranch Cheese Ball
- Beat together all ingredients using a handheld electric mixer, or process in a food processor.
- Roll into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate to chill.
- Roll the ball in chopped nuts or minced herbs to coat.
General FAQS About Cheese Balls
I’ve been bringing back the classic retro cheese ball for years now, and people ask me quite a few questions about cheese balls! If you’ve never made one, you’ll be surprised at how easy cheese balls are to make.
How Do You Make an Easy Cheese Ball?
In its most basic form, the easiest of all cheese balls is just a mix of cream cheese and shredded cheese (commonly cheddar). You can add any flavorings you like, such as herbs, spices, etc. And if it strikes your fancy, you can roll it in something like toasted nuts, chopped herbs, crumbled bacon, etc. for even more flavor and texture. For this Ranch Cheese Ball the main flavors are scallion, parsley, dill, garlic powder, and onion powder.
How Do You Make a Cream Cheese Ball?
When I make a cheese ball using cream cheese, I beat together room temperature cream cheese and shredded cheddar. Alternatively, sometimes I use a food processor to combine the cheeses, but it really isn’t necessary. Then I beat in any flavorings I’m adding, such as garlic powder, dill, etc. Lastly, I roll the mixture into a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate to chill. I wait to roll the outside in herbs or nuts until right before serving.
How Do You Make Cheese Ball Bites?
Once you master the art of making a cheese ball, you’ll see just how easy it is to make cheese ball bites too! The mixture is the same; anything that works well as a cheese ball will also make smaller cheese ball bites. To get little appetizer-sized cheese ball bites, scoop the mixture into 1-tablespoon-sized balls. Roll them in any toppings you like, and serve!
How Long Does a Cheese Ball Last in the Fridge?
If wrapped well in plastic wrap, I find that a homemade cheese ball lasts about 5 days in the fridge.
Putting Together a Low Carb Appetizer Spread
A cheese ball is a great choice for game day, holiday gatherings, birthday parties, picnics, potlucks, and just about any time you’re meeting with family and friends to enjoy food. But what to serve with your cheese ball to make it a full spread?
Here are a few of my favorite low carb additions to a cheese ball platter:
- A mix of olives
- Roasted red bell peppers
- Marinated artichoke hearts
- Raw nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds, pistachios, macadamia nuts, etc.) and/or seeds (pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, etc.)
- A variety of cheeses, such as Gorgonzola, Brie, aged Cheddar, etc.
- Sugar-free jam or fruit sauce, such as Low Carb Rosemary Vanilla Cranberry Sauce
- Savory Biscotti – similar to crackers
- Low Carb Crackers – you won’t believe how easy these are to make!
More Low Carb Appetizer Recipes:
- Easy Low Carb Chile Relleno Dip
- Spicy Dry Rub Chicken Wings served with Quick and Easy Low Carb Ranch Dressing
- Cheesy Low Carb Cauliflower Tots
- Keto Cheese-Stuffed Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
Did you make this recipe? Please rate it and leave a comment below because I love hearing from you! You can also tag @anediblemosaic on social media. To stay up-to-date FOLLOW ME on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Xoxo, Faith
Easy Ranch Cheese Ball Recipe (Low Carb Appetizer)
Ranch Cheese Ball:
- 6 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 6 oz white cheddar cheese shredded (see Note)
- 1 scallion green and white parts, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup pecans toasted, cooled, and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Use a handheld electric mixer (or a stand mixer) to beat together all ingredients for the cheese ball.
- Roll the cheese mixture into a ball, wrap with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes. (It should keep wrapped like this in the fridge for up to 5 days before serving.)
- Right before serving, roll the cheese ball in the pecans and parsley.
- Serve with crackers or sliced bread.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links to products I believe in, which means that even though it doesn’t cost you anything extra, I will receive a small amount of money from the sale of these items. Thank you for helping to support An Edible Mosaic!